none
Create an Alert when a specific field in database/list has changed RRS feed

• Question

• I have a TeamSite database/list for proejcts and would like to create an (email) alert when a specific field in the database (e.g. PROJECT STATUS) has been changed. I'm not interested to generate alerts when other fields are modified (e.g. only cleaning up of typos).

It's possible to use a specific view e.g. only with the PROJECT STATUS field, but I found out that views only work as FILTER. When ANY field in the database have changed, an alert is send out. I would like to avoid this as the key change would be the change of this specific field (PROJECT STATUS).

Any suggestions how to go about it ?

Thanks, Michael

Friday, April 20, 2012 12:44 PM

Answers

• Hello,

As far as I know I don't think that you can set alerts for a particular column. However you can your functionality using the workflows. Create a workflow on your list and set the condition when the value of the column changes.

Check this link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/workflow-example-send-a-notification-message-HA010182908.aspx

Hope the information helps!

Thanks & Regards, Chandra Shekhar

Friday, April 20, 2012 1:56 PM
  • Hi,

This can not be done in out of the box way you either need to use event viewer or you need to use sharepoint designer workflows for the same.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Friday, April 20, 2012 7:04 PM

All replies

• Hello,

As far as I know I don't think that you can set alerts for a particular column. However you can your functionality using the workflows. Create a workflow on your list and set the condition when the value of the column changes.

Check this link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/workflow-example-send-a-notification-message-HA010182908.aspx

Hope the information helps!

Thanks & Regards, Chandra Shekhar

Friday, April 20, 2012 1:56 PM
  • Hi,

This can not be done in out of the box way you either need to use event viewer or you need to use sharepoint designer workflows for the same.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Friday, April 20, 2012 7:04 PM
  • I recently saw this post and there is one out of box way (with a small caveat).

1- Create a view with filter condition with the field that you want to monitor.

2- Set up an alert and in the settings, select the option "Someone changes an item that appears in the following view"

This way if an item is changed and the field value matches the conditions you have in filter conditions of the view, it will send an alert. The caveat here is that when the item's field value changes to another value, the alert condition still meets and you will again get an alert when the item disappears from that view.</label>

<label for="ctl00_PlaceHolderMain_ctl05_ctl01_RadioBtnAlertFilter_4">Also, take into consideration the limits of how many filters you can apply in a view. So that limits the values you can use to monitor the field. But in case, you are just monitoring 1 or 2 values of 1 field, then this should do without any customization. Else, workflow is required.</label>

Thursday, October 6, 2016 8:46 PM
  • You will need to create custom forms (new and add/edit) and have a workflow check the field for content and issue the email alert.
    • Edited by ScripsTP Friday, November 11, 2016 6:02 PM
    Friday, November 11, 2016 6:01 PM