none
Project calendar not working with Enterprise resources? RRS feed

• Question

• How can I ensure that a project with a 4 day base calendar does not make resource assignments on the extra non working day? It does not seem to work with enterprise resources ...

Friday, December 7, 2018 8:17 AM

Answers

• Peter van den Borne --

The Project calendar (set in the Project Information dialog), only controls the schedule of tasks BEFORE you assign resources to them.  When you assign a resource to a task, the Resource calendar for that resource now controls the schedule of the task.  I suspect that the Resource calendar for each of your resources shows a work schedule of 5 days per week.

If this is truly the case, then what you will need to do is to override the Resource calendar for the resources assigned to every task by applying a Task calendar to every task.  To do this, temporarily insert the following columns in any task view, such as the Gantt Chart view:

• Task Calendar
    • Ignore Resource Calendar

For the first detailed task (not summary tasks) in your schedule, set the Task Calendar value to the base calendar with the 4-day work week.  Set the Ignore Resource Calendar value to Yes.  You can then fill down these values into every task in your project schedule.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, December 7, 2018 2:30 PM

All replies

• Peter van den Borne --

The Project calendar (set in the Project Information dialog), only controls the schedule of tasks BEFORE you assign resources to them.  When you assign a resource to a task, the Resource calendar for that resource now controls the schedule of the task.  I suspect that the Resource calendar for each of your resources shows a work schedule of 5 days per week.

If this is truly the case, then what you will need to do is to override the Resource calendar for the resources assigned to every task by applying a Task calendar to every task.  To do this, temporarily insert the following columns in any task view, such as the Gantt Chart view:

• Task Calendar
    • Ignore Resource Calendar

For the first detailed task (not summary tasks) in your schedule, set the Task Calendar value to the base calendar with the 4-day work week.  Set the Ignore Resource Calendar value to Yes.  You can then fill down these values into every task in your project schedule.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, December 7, 2018 2:30 PM
  • Thanks. I my case I will not ignore the resource calendar. I see this as a workaround. In my opinion the assignments should be done after checking Project calendar, the task calendar and the resource calendar. But apparently this only works in a standalone version or with local resources.
    Friday, December 7, 2018 3:10 PM