MS Word Quick Parts Document Property Format Date RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a word 2007 template in a document library in SharePoint.

I am putting Quick Parts - Document Properties into the document body. These are properties corresponding to columns in SharePoint. One of the properties is Start Date and renders out as date and time including seconds.

Is there any way to format the date just to show date and time (no seconds). I wish to format the date within word as my potential users have no coding capabilities.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:25 PM

Answers

• You may be able to do it this way:

a. if the Developer tab in /your/ copy of Word is not enabled, enable it (via Word->Options->Popular n Word 2007, or Word->Options->Customize Ribbbon in Word 2010

b. Insert the document property where you want it in your document

c. Click the document property, then click on its name (at the top left). Click Developer tab->Controls group->Properties

d. you should see a "Date Picker Properties" option about halfway down the dialog. You can select one of the date/time formats from the list, if appropriate, or type one under "Display the date like this", e.g, e.g. leave the :ss off the time part of the format.

e. OK the properties and test the result.

Peter Jamieson
    • Marked as answer by Sonners Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:07 PM

All replies

• You may be able to do it this way:

a. if the Developer tab in /your/ copy of Word is not enabled, enable it (via Word->Options->Popular n Word 2007, or Word->Options->Customize Ribbbon in Word 2010

b. Insert the document property where you want it in your document

c. Click the document property, then click on its name (at the top left). Click Developer tab->Controls group->Properties

d. you should see a "Date Picker Properties" option about halfway down the dialog. You can select one of the date/time formats from the list, if appropriate, or type one under "Display the date like this", e.g, e.g. leave the :ss off the time part of the format.

e. OK the properties and test the result.

Peter Jamieson
    • Marked as answer by Sonners Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:07 PM
  • thank you Peter, I just tried this and it worked.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:48 PM
  • @Peter: Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Thank you :)
    Friday, February 17, 2012 5:32 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Is there a similar way to format the SharePoint Yes/No fields? In Word they always show "true/false". I would like to have "Yes/No" or even the localized versions "Ja/Nein" or "Oui/Non"

In the properties dialog of the quick part the two options "true/false" seem to be read only.

Regards, Roni

Monday, March 18, 2013 3:02 PM
  • At the moment, I only know of two workarounds:
     a. use a different field type in Sharepoint (i.e. a Choice with just Yes and No options (and I don't think you will be able to localise those "dynamically" to Ja/Nein, Oui/Non and so on, except maybe using server-side code.

b. if you are only using Word 2010 and later, use a checkbox instead of the dropdown that Word inserts, and connect the checkbox to the custom XML data via the same xpath used for the true/false field, in which case you will get the "checked" value for true and the unchecked value for false. Unfortunately, the "checkbox" control isn't offered automatically on the Insert->Quick parts->Document Properties list like the regular "true/false" option but if you are creating these documents for others it's not hard to create such a content control.

Peter Jamieson

Monday, March 25, 2013 4:58 PM