none
Incorrect Week Count (From End) on Timescale - Please Help RRS feed

• Question

• Using Project 2010 Standard, I'd like the timescale to include a tier with a Week Count from the end/finish date of the project. Example: The weeks leading up to the end of the project would be ..., Week 4, Week 3, Week 2, Week 1. The last week with a scheduled task would be Week 1. The week following is Week -1, Week -2, etc.

The confusing behaviour is as follows:

• If the last task finishes on or before Tuesday, the week number is displayed as I'd expect (as Week1 for this week), however
    • If the last task finishes on Wednesday or later, the week number changes to Week 2. The week following the end of the project is labelled Week 1.

This must be a simple calendar setting but I can't find the right one.

Please help.

thx

dg

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:57 PM

All replies

• File > Options > Schedule

Check/correct the setting for "Week starts on."  It's probably set to Wednesday.  Set it to Sunday.

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:13 PM
  • Hi Reid,

I have checked this setting and it is (and always was) set to Sunday.

Very strange behaviour.

Any other thoughts?

dg

Monday, June 10, 2013 6:39 PM
  • It is strange.  I could reproduce the behavior with the settings abve.  Otherwise, I can't think of another cause other than file corruption.  Do all projects behave this way, or only one?

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

Monday, June 10, 2013 8:10 PM
  • dgroz,

First of all, it is NOT file corruption and the behavior is not quite as definitized as Tuesday versus Wednesday, it's even more interesting than that. I set up a simple series of tasks with the timescale set to show week number from the end. By changing the duration of the last task I can move the finish of the last task through the end of the week (Friday) and into next week (Monday) and the work week will NOT adjust to move "W1" as expected to the following week. In other words the last task ends up in "W-1". Then if I decrease the duration to bring the last task back, the week designation will change so that the following Monday is now properly "W1", but as the finish of the last task moves back to the previous week, the week designation will not update (i.e. the last task is now shown as "W2").

However, let's make it even more interesting. If the week designation is incorrect and you scroll the timescale such that the last task is out of the view and then scroll back, the week designation corrects itself. Is that cool or what?

I first saw this "phenomenon", about a year ago while trying to help another poster with a similar issue (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-project/project-2010-actual-cost-acwp-calculation-problem/28d0fb58-64ee-46be-b2e5-899d56f5c7f1). I contacted a Microsoft rep on that issue but never did get complete response back.

I'm not sure what to tell you. There is no setting you need to change or anything else you need to do to alleviate this problem. I think it is one of those little anomalies that exist and the impact is such that it is not likely to get fixed. I don't have Project 2013 so I don't know if that acts the same way.

Not the answer you wanted but unless someone else comes up with a "solution", just be aware of this phenomenon and try to work with it.

John

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 10:30 PM