SCOM 2007 How to monitor a single service of an agentless managed server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have inherited a SCOM 2007 management group from an admin who has left the company. I am new to SCOM and trying to make sense of it all. I am at a roadblock trying to figure out how to monitor one particular service on an agentless managed server. I have discovered the agentless machine, assigned it to a proxy agent, etc. I can see both the machines in SCOM console, I am able to navigate to the health monitor, however, when I created a unit monitor for availability (Target - 'All Windows Server 2003'), but it does generate an alert. Looked up several blog sites, none of them can confirm if it is possible to monitor a single service on an agentless machine, let alone how to do it. Can someone help me with some how tos...

Friday, May 28, 2010 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi All, Thanks for your help, I have stumbled on something that worked for me.

Heres what I did...

I created a Unit Monitor with the target type as 'Agentless Monitored computer', (I was using a different target earlier 'Windows server 2003 computer'). Select the server and the service to be monitored, create an alert, etc.

To view the state of the monitor, Click on monitoring | Discovered Inventory

Change target type to select 'Agentless Managed Computers'. Click OK

Now highlight the server we are trying to monitor, and navigate the the health explorer, you will find the service listed under one of the aggregate monitors.

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:04 AM
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:57 AM

All replies

• you can start by looking here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc180856.aspx

it outlines the possibilities for agentless managed systems.

Hope it helps!

• Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, May 31, 2010 7:09 AM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 5:10 PM
  • Are you saying you want to monitor a windows service on a machine that does not have an operations manager agent on it?
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Friday, May 28, 2010 11:14 PM
  • Hi Ake, that is correct. I want to monitor a windows service on a machine that does not have an operations manager agent on it. I created a unit monitor but it does not work and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Any idea how this can be done.

Monday, May 31, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Hi Damilola,

Thanks for the link, it pointed out what is possible with agentless monitoring.

I still have not found how to monitor a service on this machine though, any help is appreciated.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 11:24 AM
  • Hi mel,

from what i can see in the link it says service discovery is possible not monitoring the service for availability and all of that. The true case is that most management packs do not support agentless monitoring. Well maybe there is a script out there that can achieve it but i am not aware of one.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Hi All, Thanks for your help, I have stumbled on something that worked for me.

Heres what I did...

I created a Unit Monitor with the target type as 'Agentless Monitored computer', (I was using a different target earlier 'Windows server 2003 computer'). Select the server and the service to be monitored, create an alert, etc.

Now highlight the server we are trying to monitor, and navigate the the health explorer, you will find the service listed under one of the aggregate monitors.

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:04 AM
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:57 AM

Heres what I did...

Anders post on another thread gave me the clue of selecting the 'Agentless managed computer' target.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagermgmtpacks/thread/5f66295d-d90d-43d9-91b7-25434922dd23
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:18 AM