none
Windows 10 RDP "An internal error occurred" RRS feed

• Question

• We have several users on a Windows 2012 RDS server. Recently two started having an issue logging in. They VPN to a Sonicwall firewall (which is successful...we can ping the server).

When they try to connect using the Windows RDP client we are now getting "An internal error occurred". I cannot find out where details of this error are so It's VERY frustrating to try to fix based on "something went wrong" as the definition.

I need to get this working ASAP. How do I track down where this is failing?

Note: This is a Sonicwall NSA 250M firewall with sufficient VPN licenses. We can PING the remote server through the VPN tunnel but we cannot seem to get folders by opening Windows File Explorer and typing in the server IP (e.g. \\172.65.44.18). It times out (and there are shares on that server so we SHOULD see SOMETING). 

Is this a sudden firewall issue or something to do with RDP server licensing or something else? I have no clue where to even start investigating this.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:56 PM

Answers

• Not being familiar with setting up the RDGateway and its use (and not wanting to expose the server to direct connections from the outside world) we create a sonicwall rule that bypassed VPN and allowed the user to sign into the server, on a temporary basis. This was considerably faster. We discovered we could RDP into the server without issue, so it was NOT the server/RDS service. We discovered that the VPN was not passing DHCP through to all users. We made the correction and all is well.

Thanks for all the assistance. It was NOT a Microsoft issue, after all!

• Marked as answer by ISD-PC-MAN Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:19 PM
    Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:18 PM

All replies

• What if you ping the server using both IP and Computer name?

Have you recently installed updates?

What is error when you access the shared folder or they are missing in windows explorer? Have you tried ping the shared folder using both //ip/folder and //computername/folder

Are you logging in with domain\username? Does RDP work locally?

Here are several things you should check:

1.        Make sure that the RDP feature is enabled on both sides, users should be added to the list who can remote desktop on server.
    2.        Make sure that the firewall on both sides allow all traffic. If you can ping IP, sounds like the default RDP port is being blocked. Test to turn the firewall off.
    3.        Make sure the server with installed, not blocking your client.
    4.        Proper DNS servers are correctly listed in your VPN connection.

Edit the hosts file and add the ip of the server of your organization and also the names. The file is in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc 

1.        Server and client should in the same IP range.
    2.        Run sfc /scannow in cmd as administrator to scan and fix the corrupted system components.
    3.        If you are in a domain, try to rejoin it.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 15, 2017 7:45 AM
  • If you mean did I ping the IP address, yes. You can't ping a folder. 

RDP works locally. RDP works on other systems (i.e. they can connect to customer servers using the same RDP client).

Already ran SFC /scannow with no errors

DNS is working (through the hosts file). We can ping the server by name and IP.

Friday, December 15, 2017 10:51 AM
  • Hi,

As I understand it, the issue you are experiencing is: two users cannot remote into Windows Server 2012 R2 RDS server, error message: An internal error occurred.

Personally, RDS is not working well with 3<sup>rd</sup> party hardware VPN, there will be some compatibility issue when using hardware VPN with RDS. Officially, we suggest you use RD Gateway when remoting from external network. Could you please check if the issue persists when using RD Gateway instead of hardware VPN?

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 10:35 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates are welcome.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 1:30 AM
  • We literally have HUNDREDS of RDS users using this VPN/RDS connection without issues. To suggest "there will be some compatibility issues" is not a "fix", it's  more of an excuse and a poor workaround. VPN is VERY secure and keeps my clients comfortable that their systems are protected (i.e. not directly facing the internet). We intend on keeping this level of security.

If you have other suggestions that can resolve this setup issue, I'm all ears.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 1:49 PM
  • Hi,

Since Sonicwall is a 3rd party hardware device which we do not have enough information about it, it is difficult for us to troubleshoot an issue with Sonicwall. To figure out if the issue is related with Sonicwall or not, the most effective way is to use RD Gateway instead. If the issue doesn’t occur when using RD Gateway, the issue is related with the Sonicwall, and we should contact the support of Sonicwall to check if their device has any specific settings.

Meanwhile, I found following link which describes the similar issue, could you please check if the issue can be resolved by the methods in it?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/remote-desktop-connection-an-internal-error-has/85e4a82e-b6d1-496e-84c1-eb421764b5cb  

Monday, December 25, 2017 1:31 AM
  • Hi,

If you have solved the problem, please let me know and it is appreciated that share the solution here.

Monday, December 25, 2017 9:17 AM
  • Not being familiar with setting up the RDGateway and its use (and not wanting to expose the server to direct connections from the outside world) we create a sonicwall rule that bypassed VPN and allowed the user to sign into the server, on a temporary basis. This was considerably faster. We discovered we could RDP into the server without issue, so it was NOT the server/RDS service. We discovered that the VPN was not passing DHCP through to all users. We made the correction and all is well.

Thanks for all the assistance. It was NOT a Microsoft issue, after all!

• Marked as answer by ISD-PC-MAN Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:19 PM
    Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:18 PM