Strange behaviour of 32bit app on 64bit OS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a piece of software developed by the company where I work , that is refusing to run on a couple of virtual Windows 7 (64bit) machines and a couple of client machines. (it should be noted, that it runs fine on my Win 7 x64 machine, and also on a couple of 64bit laptops used by our Sales staff)

the machines in question are running Windows 7 Professional (x64)

The application I'm trying to run  is a .NET4 based app (32bit)

Now this is where it gets strange.

1. On restoring a clean snapshot of my Win 7 machine, and installing my application , I will get clr.dll errors (which, I'm led to believe are generic .NET errors, usually indicating that there is a dependancy missing)
    2. If I then launch the application in Compatability Mode (Win XP SP3)  it works okay
    3. If I then disable Compatability Mode (ie reverting the machine back to the state is was at step #1....the application continues to work fine (even after the virtual has been restarted/ shut down)

This would imply that all the pre-reqs are present (in this case .NET 4.x and VCRedist2010)

Whilst this is a workaround, it's just that, and I  can't really tell my clients to do this on each machine that is going to be using our software (clients concerned enforce very strict Group Policies)

Any idea as to what could be causing this strange behaviour, and how I can get past this without the need for a workaround.
    Friday, January 31, 2014 10:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly, Please understand that third party software has its own way to program codes and call corresponding system resources when installing and running.

You may use the hotfix below to check the issue:

FIX: "Faulting module name: clr.dll" error message when you run a Microsoft .NET Framework 4-based application

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2640103/en-us

clr.dll error usually occurs when a program crashes and is really generic.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, February 10, 2014 5:05 AM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:30 AM