Strange general networking failure shortly after starting machine (Ping General Failure) RRS feed

• Question

• I just created a Hyper-V VM on my Windows 10 box and installed Tech Preview 5 Server Core on it. I start the VM, login, run ping -t 127.0.0.1 and sit back and watch without doing anything else. After approx. 3 minutes the ping starts to produce General Failure. No network operations of any kind succeed after that point until the VM is restarted.

I've been able to reproduce this several times in a row. It happens with localhost or external IP, regardless or whether the virtual NIC is connected to an External or Internal switch.

Any ideas?

Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:50 PM

Answers

• Hi wbradney,

>>Resetting , failed.
    Access is denied.

Find this key in registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nsi\{eb004a00-9b1a-11d4-9123-0050047759bc}\26
    right click on "26" key, choose "Permissions", add a checkmark on "Full control" for the everyone group, then repeat the netsh command.

• Marked as answer by wbradney Tuesday, May 31, 2016 1:15 PM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:40 AM

All replies

• Hi wbradney,

>> No network operations of any kind succeed after that point until the VM is restarted.

1.Please try to disable then enable the NIC,determine that the issue is related to nic or OS.

2.Please check the event viewer,is there any related event or error when this issue occurred?

3.Please try to reset the TCP/IP stack.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357

4.Please try to delete and re-add the NIC.

5.You could perform a network captuer on problem client.Determine where is breaking down.
    Here is the link of Windows network monitor:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

6.If those don't help,you maight want to post your query in Hyper-v forum for further assistance:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverhyperv

Friday, May 27, 2016 3:01 AM
  • Cartman,

It just happened again while I was setting up containers and the event log says:

Index Time          EntryType   Source                 InstanceID Message
       ----- ----          ---------   ------                 ---------- -------
        2633 May 27 05:53  Information Service Control M...   1073748860 The Network Setup Service service entered the stopped state.
        2632 May 27 05:52  Information Service Control M...   1073748860 The Device Install Service service entered the stopped state.
        2631 May 27 05:50  Warning     Microsoft-Windows...         1014 Name resolution for the name go.microsoft.com timed out after...
        2630 May 27 05:50  Information Microsoft-Windows...         4200 The description for Event ID '4200' in Source 'Microsoft-Wind...

Not sure if that's relevant.
    • Edited by wbradney Friday, May 27, 2016 1:00 PM
    Friday, May 27, 2016 1:00 PM
  • netsh int ip reset said:

Resetting Global, OK!
    Resetting Interface, OK!
    Resetting Unicast Address, OK!
    Resetting Neighbor, OK!
    Resetting Path, OK!
    Resetting , failed.
    Access is denied.

Resetting , OK!
    Restart the computer to complete this action.

• Edited by wbradney Friday, May 27, 2016 1:03 PM
    Friday, May 27, 2016 1:02 PM
  • Hi wbradney,

>>Resetting , failed.
    Access is denied.

Find this key in registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nsi\{eb004a00-9b1a-11d4-9123-0050047759bc}\26
    right click on "26" key, choose "Permissions", add a checkmark on "Full control" for the everyone group, then repeat the netsh command.

• Marked as answer by wbradney Tuesday, May 31, 2016 1:15 PM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:40 AM
  • Ok, did that and netsh no longer complains about access. After reboot, ping -t localhost still exhibited several General Failures after about 3 minutes, but appears to have recovered and continues to ping successfully.

Also, on another host I installed Virtual Box and created a TP5 VM there. So far that VM has not exhibited any ping failures.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 1:15 PM
  • Same problem here, the only evidence that networking worked at all was that DHCP worked,  once I made the registry permission change mentioned above, networking works again, I can ping my dns ip address, or try nslookup, and generally everything works again.

What a nasty bug. This bug was not in TP3 or TP4 that I ever saw.  I believe I triggered this bug by following the guidance on the TP5 release notes that states to do a windows update cycle before deploying any server features or roles.

Warren

wp

Thursday, June 2, 2016 4:23 PM
  • I had a similar problem that I put in a new thread here:  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/84f3574a-0db9-4a37-b979-90e6e5d314dd/several-problems-with-server-2016-tp5-ram-and-network?forum=WinServerPreview

My issue appears to have been exactly the same as yours and the solution may work.  My problem was in the RAM configuration of the Guest.  The startup amount was less than the minimum amount so when it dropped down it appeared to flush the NIC driver.  My fix was to adjust the startup RAM to match the Minimum RAM.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 1:51 PM