none
Calendar suddenly displays a new event, not created by me, consisting of spam: how to prevent?

Question

• Hi all.  Today, while my Outlook 2013 was open, a new reminder popped up.  The reminder was for an event on my calendar--an event I did not create.  I have attached two screenshots.  When I opened the event, it consisted of spam.  Here is a snippet:

Good Day

I am Barrister John Cliff, a regional managing director (A.D.B BANK) Ouagadougou Burkina Faso, in my department we have US$9,500.0000 million united state dollars, to transfer into your account as a dormant fund.

Why did this occur, and how can I prevent it in the future?  Also, did opening it put my computer at risk for malware, etc?  I have an active and up-to-date AV (Windows Defender).

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:28 AM

Answers

•  

Hi cagross99,

Did you set reminders by default via File > Options > Calendar > Default Reminders?
    Could you find the original meeting request in the Junk Email or Deleted Items folder?

From your description, it sounds like you are receiving meeting request spam. 

By design, Outlook leaves the tentative copy of the associated meeting in the Calendar when the meeting request is deleted. If the meeting requests from spammers are moved to the junk email folder, they may be added to the calendar as tentative. If you have a default reminder set in Calendar options, a reminder will be set on the "tentative meeting". 

Regarding the risk, I noticed several reports about the similar spam during my research, but haven't seen users claiming that this spam meeting request put their computers at risk for malware.

In your current situation, it is recommended to enable the Conversations view, then expand the conversation, select and delete both the request and the appointment:

For more information about meeting request spam, hopefully you can find the article below helpful:

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/email/meeting-request-spam/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 1, 2017 7:09 AM

All replies

•  

Hi cagross99,

Did you set reminders by default via File > Options > Calendar > Default Reminders?
    Could you find the original meeting request in the Junk Email or Deleted Items folder?

From your description, it sounds like you are receiving meeting request spam. 

By design, Outlook leaves the tentative copy of the associated meeting in the Calendar when the meeting request is deleted. If the meeting requests from spammers are moved to the junk email folder, they may be added to the calendar as tentative. If you have a default reminder set in Calendar options, a reminder will be set on the "tentative meeting". 

Regarding the risk, I noticed several reports about the similar spam during my research, but haven't seen users claiming that this spam meeting request put their computers at risk for malware.

In your current situation, it is recommended to enable the Conversations view, then expand the conversation, select and delete both the request and the appointment:

For more information about meeting request spam, hopefully you can find the article below helpful:

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/email/meeting-request-spam/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 1, 2017 7:09 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

>> Did you set reminders by default via File > Options > Calendar > Default Reminders?

That option is enabled.  I have never used it, so I assume it has been enabled since I installed Outlook.

>> Could you find the original meeting request in the Junk Email or Deleted Items folder

I did indeed find it in one of my 'spam' folders.

>> From your description, it sounds like you are receiving meeting request spam. 

I agree.

OK thanks for the link.  I followed it, removed the meeting request and reminder, and created a rule to delete all incoming meeting requests.  We can consider this resolved for now.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:46 AM
  • Hi cagross99,

Thanks for your feedback and glad to see that my reply can be of help :)

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:57 AM