none
DPM Agent Installer Fails with errorcode =0x80070643 RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen this all over the place. Sometimes it's with DPM 2007 but I'm using an evaluation version of DPM 2010. I'm trying to install the agent on a protected server running Windows 2008 Standard with Service Pack 2. This is our Exchange 2007 server and is also running ForeFront. 

I initially tried installing from the DPM server and received the following error code

Install protection agent on PS failed:

Error 313: The agent operation failed because an error occurred while running the installation program on PS.

Error details: Fatal error during installation (0x80070643)

Recommended action: Review the log files on PS: [windir]\temp\msdpm*.log and take appropriate action. Retry the operation, and if the error persists, restart the computer and then retry the operation again.

I reviewed the error logs but I didn't know exactly what to look for and I don't see anything that jumps out at me.

On other sites I have seen instructions for a manual install on the protected server after disabeling the firewall and so I tried that.

On the protected server I mapped a drive to the folder containing the agent on the DPM server. I ran Net stop mpssvc. Then I launched the installer  DPMAgentInstaller_x64.exe. When I ran that I received a different error.

DPMAgentInstaller failed with errorcode =0x80070643, error says: Fatal error during installation.

Check log files in [WINDIR]temp\MSDPM*.LOG

Press Enter key to close the window

I rebooted and tried again with the same error.

On another page I read that someone asked about the paging file so I verified that there was sufficient space allocated (only 2/3 of the allocated space is being used). Our primary partition has over 50GB of free space and our data partition has over 370 GB free.

I can post sections of the log files if that would help.

Thanks

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:48 AM

Answers

• Dan,

This is usually a problem with the installer. I've seen this in DPMRA.msi installation failures when In some instances the default permissions of the scheduled tasks directory altered.

The following is a sample from the failing MSDPMAgentBoostrap0Curr.errlog file.

WARNING Failed: Hr: = [0x80070424] : F: lVal : (HANDLE)(schService = OpenServiceW( schSCManager, strServiceName.PeekStr(), (0x00010000L) | 0x0020 | 0x0004 | 0x0002))
    WARNING Failed: Hr: = [0x80070424] DeleteServiceByName for service[DPMClientService] failed                                                                         
    WARNING Failed: Hr: = [0x80070002] : Error while deleting the Scheduled Task [ScheduledDPMClientBackup]                                                             
    WARNING Failed: Hr: = [0x80070002] DeleteScheduledTaskByName failed                                                                                                 
    WARNING Failed: Hr: = [0x80070005] : F: lVal : pTaskScheduler->NewWorkItem(pwszClientTaskName, CLSID_CTask, IID_ITask, (IUnknown**)&pTask)                          
    WARNING Failed: Hr: = [0x80070005] AddScheduledTaskForClient failed

The service deletion failure is fine since it fails with 0x80070424 (ERROR_SERVICE_DOES_NOT_EXIST - The specified service does not exist as an installed service). The same goes with the scheduled task deletion with the error 0x80070002 (ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND - The system cannot find the file specified). The installer was removing old services or tasks that may be lingering and if they do not exist we will get the above errors.

The access is denied error on the task creation is the aberration that must be addressed. The permissions on %windir%\Tasks need to allow write access to the account doing the DPMRA.msi install.

Some have implemented group policies to lock down the permissions on the Tasks directory. This was done to combat the Conficker worm. Please see KB 962007 Virus alert about the Win32/Conficker worm for more details.
    Note: You must reset the default permissions on the Task directory. See the "After the environment is fully cleaned" section of the KB article.

If not this let us know.

/Steve

Steve L [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 5:40 PM

All replies

• Dan,

This is usually a problem with the installer. I've seen this in DPMRA.msi installation failures when In some instances the default permissions of the scheduled tasks directory altered.

The following is a sample from the failing MSDPMAgentBoostrap0Curr.errlog file.

WARNING Failed: Hr: = [0x80070424] : F: lVal : (HANDLE)(schService = OpenServiceW( schSCManager, strServiceName.PeekStr(), (0x00010000L) | 0x0020 | 0x0004 | 0x0002))
    WARNING Failed: Hr: = [0x80070424] DeleteServiceByName for service[DPMClientService] failed                                                                         
    WARNING Failed: Hr: = [0x80070002] : Error while deleting the Scheduled Task [ScheduledDPMClientBackup]                                                             
    WARNING Failed: Hr: = [0x80070002] DeleteScheduledTaskByName failed                                                                                                 
    WARNING Failed: Hr: = [0x80070005] : F: lVal : pTaskScheduler->NewWorkItem(pwszClientTaskName, CLSID_CTask, IID_ITask, (IUnknown**)&pTask)                          
    WARNING Failed: Hr: = [0x80070005] AddScheduledTaskForClient failed

The service deletion failure is fine since it fails with 0x80070424 (ERROR_SERVICE_DOES_NOT_EXIST - The specified service does not exist as an installed service). The same goes with the scheduled task deletion with the error 0x80070002 (ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND - The system cannot find the file specified). The installer was removing old services or tasks that may be lingering and if they do not exist we will get the above errors.

The access is denied error on the task creation is the aberration that must be addressed. The permissions on %windir%\Tasks need to allow write access to the account doing the DPMRA.msi install.

Some have implemented group policies to lock down the permissions on the Tasks directory. This was done to combat the Conficker worm. Please see KB 962007 Virus alert about the Win32/Conficker worm for more details.
    Note: You must reset the default permissions on the Task directory. See the "After the environment is fully cleaned" section of the KB article.

If not this let us know.

/Steve

Steve L [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please e-mail %windir%\temp\MSDPM*.LOG to vborra [at] microsoft [dot] com

or search for "value 3" in msdpmagentinstall.log and paste the above few lines here.

-- Thanks Venkata Praveen[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 30, 2010 9:10 AM
  • To address Steve first, the permissions on the %\windir%tasks folder is set to allow the Administrators (my account) Full Control and the System account has Full Control.

There are two sections that have value 3

The first reads

MSI (s) (40:84) [23:34:49:443]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=_RollbackDpmFilterDriver.C68D0BFC_654C_4ECF_B861_D846DC06E64D,,)
    UpdatePSDataSourceConfigXML return code = 0x00000000
    MSI (s) (40:84) [23:34:49:443]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=_RollbackDpmFilterDriver.C68D0BFC_654C_4ECF_B861_D846DC06E64D,ActionType=1361,Source=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin\SetupDpmfltr.dll,Target=UninstallDpmFilter,CustomActionData=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin\)
    MSI (s) (40:84) [23:34:49:443]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=_IncreaseIRPStackSize.C68D0BFC_654C_4ECF_B861_D846DC06E64D,,)
    MSI (s) (40:84) [23:34:49:443]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=_IncreaseIRPStackSize.C68D0BFC_654C_4ECF_B861_D846DC06E64D,ActionType=1041,Source=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin\SetupDpmfltr.dll,Target=IncreaseIRPStackSize,)
    MSI (s) (40:D8) [23:34:49:443]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin\SetupDpmfltr.dll, Entrypoint: IncreaseIRPStackSize
    IncreaseIRPStackSize method failed with errorcode=0x800700ea
    MSI (s) (40:84) [23:34:49:459]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    MSI (s) (40:84) [23:34:49:459]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
    Action ended 23:34:49: InstallExecute. Return value 3.

The second reads

MSI (s) (40:84) [23:34:50:005]: Error in rollback skipped. Return: 5
    MSI (s) (40:84) [23:34:50:005]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.
    MSI (s) (40:84) [23:34:50:005]: Unlocking Server
    MSI (s) (40:84) [23:34:50:005]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting UpdateStarted property. Its current value is '1'.
    Action ended 23:34:50: INSTALL. Return value 3.

I'm emailing you logs as well.

Thanks

As a followup when I checked the registry for IRPStackSize I have the entry and it's currently set to 30.

• Edited by DanCardwell Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:45 PM additional information
    • Proposed as answer by kurisuchianu Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:55 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by kurisuchianu Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:56 PM
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:30 PM
  • Hi

I had exactly the same problem with DPM 2010 RTM on some machines.

We've tried almost everyting. Adding the permissions on the WINDOWS\tasks folder for the account doing the agent installation did the trick!. 

Regards. Cristian V.
    • Proposed as answer by julyeth Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:40 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by julyeth Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:40 PM
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:58 PM
  • hi, Kurisuchianu, What are the permissions to be granted?

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:39 PM
  • Hi,

Could you try the following:

1. Open regedit on production server

2. Navigate to  SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

3. Right click on parameters and export it (for backup purpose)

4. Delete IRPStackSize registry key inside parameters

5. Create IRPStackSize with type as DWORD and value as 17.

6. Reboot the machine

7. Try agent installation.

-- Thanks Venkata Praveen[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:38 AM
  • You will get this error if the task service is disabled. Many of my government customers have the task service disabled for IA requirements, that is how I found this out.

Sean

Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Hi Julyeth

You must give it full control.

Sorry I didn´t answer you before, I didn´t get an alert.

Regards. Cristian V.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:50 PM
  • OK I ll try to explain my solution for this fucking problem. (After wasting time for 3 weeks)

- You need to uninstall everything (files and registry keys) to re-install DPM Agent again. What if you can't uninstall the agent.

- Revo Uninstaller pro records everything while a program installing. We will use this software for help.

- Install same DPM agent to another server by right clicking and selecting Install with Revo option. ( We are trying to understand what registry keys are adding and changing while DPM agent installation)

- Now Revo created a tracing program under Traced Programs tab labeled Microsoft System Center 2012 Data Protection Center (C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\VS Revo Group\Revo Uninstaller Pro\Logs)

- Install Revo Uninstaller to server that you have problem to install agent also. After track install a small program like CCleaner on this machine by right clicking and Install with Revo option. Now we have CCleaner program in Traced Programs tab. 

- Now copy data files (filelogs.dat and reglogs.dat) from test server and owerwrite to in CCleaner folder on the server that you have problem.

- So you have uninstallation data of Microsoft DPM program but under CCleaner label. Uninstall this software in Revo program by clicking uninstall and everthing will be cleaned in registry and files.

OK. THANKS FOR APPLAUSE.

• Proposed as answer by edurgut Saturday, May 12, 2012 3:33 PM
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Could you please attach your revo installer logs so we could use those to manually clean up our registry of DPM and try your meathod?
    Friday, August 3, 2012 7:10 PM
  • Old thread but I'll just add my experience:

I got the same error message; after checking the Event Log (Application or System, I don't remember), it clearly said that I was not allowed to install the 32-bit agent on a 64-bit OS.

So verify that before proceeding!

Monday, September 3, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Thanks, this helped.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:32 AM
  • old thread, but just to share:

I was trying to install the agent on a Win7 Pro 64bits to protect a small SQL server express database which supports the turnstiles on our company, and I was getting the same error over and over again, even when clicking right-button and running as administrator

so, I trying right-clicking with SHIFT and selecting "run as different user" and put in my domain admin credentials and zap! worked!

so apparently, it only installs with a domain admin credentials, even if the logged user is machine administrator

• Proposed as answer by Poleza Friday, August 21, 2015 12:30 PM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 10:49 AM
  • Hi Dan,

Client computer must be on Windows Firewall. Should not be off.
    Monday, May 5, 2014 2:41 PM
  • I managed to resolve this by manually disabling the firewall, installing the agent, and then re-enabling the firewall. This was for DPM 2016 agent on Server 2012 R2. I found the article on how to fix it here: http://portal.sivarajan.com/2009/10/dpm-agent-common-installation-mistakes.html

Dan.

• Proposed as answer by Dan Baird Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:38 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:38 PM