Some users are missing from GAL after a DC is demoted RRS feed

• Question

• We have demoted a old DC 2003 last Friday(3 days ago). everything seems fine during the process, but this morning, many users reported that some users(more than 10) are missing from their Address book and they are all using cached mode. I tired to manually update the Offline address book on our exchange 2007 server and also manually downloaded the address book on the client, but those users still no show. However, when I use online mode on Outlook or on OWA, all the users show up. I know that if i delete the .oab file on their local computer will fix this, but we have many users have the same problem. and idea?
    Monday, June 3, 2013 4:13 PM

Answers

• If the users show up in the address book when online but not when offline, then the problem is simply that the OAB is not correctly configured, isn't generating properly, isn't being distributed to the CAS, or isn't downloading to the client.  Where the problem is exactly I can't tell you without visibility into your system.

• Check the configuration of the OAB, particularly the address lists that are in it, the mailbox server on which it is being generated, and the OAB virtual directories to which it is being distributed.
    • Check the event logs of the generating mailbox server to be sure that there aren't errors or warnings that might help explain the problem.
    • Check that the file distribution service is distributing the OAB to the CAS servers.  Look at the files on the CAS servers to be sure that they're current.
    • Be sure that Outlook is downloading the OAB properly.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Monday, June 3, 2013 4:47 PM
  • Hi,

It’s an OAB issue. There are three diagrams for the OAB feature:

1. Mailbox Server generate the OAB file.
    2. CAS server retrieve the OAB file from the MBX Server.
    3. Client download the OAB file from the CAS server.

For the OAB issue, we can follow the checkpoints below:

1. Check the time stamp for the OAB file on MBX server; Location: c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ExchangeOAB
    2. Check the time stamp for the OAB file on CAS server; Location: c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\OAB

If the files are all up to date, the issue happens when the clients download the OAB. Try the following steps to diagnostic the download issue:

1. [Check AutoConfiguration Status in Outlook]
    ===================================
    a. While Outlook is running, click the CTRL key and then right-click the Outlook icon in the system tray and then select “Test Email Autoconfiguration”.
    b. Confirm that your email address is in the address field,
    uncheckUse Guessmart” and “secure Guessmart authentication” boxes. Then click the “Test” button.
    c. Once it runs, Check the
    Log tab and Results tab.

Does autodiscover works and a OAB url is returned?

2. Manually access the OAB url “
    https://xxx.company.com/OAB/OABGUID/oab.xml

Thanks,

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:49 AM

All replies

• If the users show up in the address book when online but not when offline, then the problem is simply that the OAB is not correctly configured, isn't generating properly, isn't being distributed to the CAS, or isn't downloading to the client.  Where the problem is exactly I can't tell you without visibility into your system.

• Check the configuration of the OAB, particularly the address lists that are in it, the mailbox server on which it is being generated, and the OAB virtual directories to which it is being distributed.
    • Check the event logs of the generating mailbox server to be sure that there aren't errors or warnings that might help explain the problem.
    • Check that the file distribution service is distributing the OAB to the CAS servers.  Look at the files on the CAS servers to be sure that they're current.
    • Be sure that Outlook is downloading the OAB properly.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Monday, June 3, 2013 4:47 PM
  • Temperpry fix the issues for some users by deleting their local .oab file, but the issue comes keep comes back.

how can I check the address list in an OAB?

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 11:14 PM
  • In the properties of the OAB.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:35 AM
  • I only can see the settings of OAB, but how can view the actual list of address in OAB?
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 1:05 AM
  • You can't from there.  You can see the lists that comprise the OAB.  You're going to have to follow my instructions and debug why it isn't being generated or distributed properly.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 2:59 AM
  • Hi,

It’s an OAB issue. There are three diagrams for the OAB feature:

1. Mailbox Server generate the OAB file.
    2. CAS server retrieve the OAB file from the MBX Server.
    3. Client download the OAB file from the CAS server.

For the OAB issue, we can follow the checkpoints below:

1. Check the time stamp for the OAB file on MBX server; Location: c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ExchangeOAB
    2. Check the time stamp for the OAB file on CAS server; Location: c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\OAB

If the files are all up to date, the issue happens when the clients download the OAB. Try the following steps to diagnostic the download issue:

1. [Check AutoConfiguration Status in Outlook]
    ===================================
    a. While Outlook is running, click the CTRL key and then right-click the Outlook icon in the system tray and then select “Test Email Autoconfiguration”.
    b. Confirm that your email address is in the address field,
    uncheckUse Guessmart” and “secure Guessmart authentication” boxes. Then click the “Test” button.
    c. Once it runs, Check the
    Log tab and Results tab.

Does autodiscover works and a OAB url is returned?

2. Manually access the OAB url “
    https://xxx.company.com/OAB/OABGUID/oab.xml

Thanks,

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:49 AM