Windows Server 2016 RDS Migration Path RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Windows 2012 R2 RDS deployment with Session Hosts published applications and Virtual Desktop collections.

With Server 2016 coming in September has anyone found any documentation (I kind of hear the laughter already) on best practices to migrate from a 2012 R2 RDS deployment to 2016?     I'm assuming we would build new 2016 servers and migrate the roles / upgrade the database.

Monday, August 15, 2016 4:25 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Guide or no guide, I would definitely go with a new build of the servers to test out all the applications compatibility and then do a little pilot on a determined based of users then if all goes well I would start by one server at a time based on its role and build a new server from it.

I would keep an eye on the RDS team blog https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/?product=windows-server-remote-desktop-services as any information related to RDS will for sure be posted there on the spot.

I hope this has been helpfulm
    Regards,
    (Abdullah)^2

For every action, there is a reaction!

• Proposed as answer by doOdzZZ Monday, August 15, 2016 11:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jay Gu Monday, September 5, 2016 6:19 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2016 11:11 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Guide or no guide, I would definitely go with a new build of the servers to test out all the applications compatibility and then do a little pilot on a determined based of users then if all goes well I would start by one server at a time based on its role and build a new server from it.

I would keep an eye on the RDS team blog https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/?product=windows-server-remote-desktop-services as any information related to RDS will for sure be posted there on the spot.

I hope this has been helpfulm
    Regards,
    (Abdullah)^2

• Proposed as answer by doOdzZZ Monday, August 15, 2016 11:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jay Gu Monday, September 5, 2016 6:19 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2016 11:11 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I have not found any helpful information about migrating roles from Windows Server 2012 R2 farm to Windows Server 2016 after searching a lot.

Let’s forward to the officially released of Windows Server 2016.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 3:16 AM
  • Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I will plan on standing up a new environment and moving to it.
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:03 PM
  • Hi,

I am also planning to upgrade existing RDS 2012 R2 env to 2016.

Where can I find the new GPOs for my RDSH 2016 machines. I will keep domain controllers 2012 R2 this should be no issue right?

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:43 AM
  • Hello,

So when it comes to new group policies for any Windows edition, to be able to use them your domain functional level should be equal to the systems you are trying to manage with those new group policies.

So in your case you would have to upgrade your domain controllers to Windows Server 2016 and definitely raise the domain functional level so that to be able to use all the new group policies via the centralization AD provides.

On the other hand, if you do not wish to upgrade your domain controllers you can simply use gpedit.msc (local Group Policy Management) on each Windows Server 2016 RDSH hosts and use the new group policies there (which would be a very much tiring administrative job if you have a large farm).

I hope this helps,
    (Abdullah)^2

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:44 PM
  • If I upgrade my DCs from 2012 R2 to 2016 I will loose my RDS2012 GPOs?
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:59 AM
  • Hi,

No, when the 2016 was prompted to domain controller, 2016 will replicate AD information (include group policy) from domain controller 2012 R2.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 11:18 AM
  • Ok Thanks for the info. One more question.

I want to keep the 2012 R2 session collections, after DC inplace upgrade those will be still operation right? Next to this I will start a new RDS 2016 Pool with new brokers\web\license\ gateway server...in same domain instead of migrating existing RDS2012 R2 Pool. And migrate the users part by part to RDS2016.

In same domain I will have:

RDS2012 R2 Pool

RDS2016 Pool

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:27 PM
  • Yes you can live with multiple RDS collections this is not an issue, but going back to the domain controller/s upgrade you have to make sure that you upgrade all of your domain controllers to 2016 so that to be able to raise the domain functional level to 2016.

Other than that you're good to go.

(Abdullah)^2

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:33 PM
  • OK Cool. Thanks!
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

I have demoted all 2012 R2 DCs only 2016 DCs running now. If I upgrade Domain Functional Level + Domain Forrest Level to 2016, will my current 2012 R2 RDSH loose their GPO policy settings because domain level is 2016 for 2016 servers ?

So the question is will my 2012 r2 policys still be in existence and rds collections still be functional?

• Edited by Jimmy-B-B Saturday, April 1, 2017 9:58 PM
    Saturday, April 1, 2017 9:55 PM
  • Hello,

Yes you should be able to retain all existing policies without any issues, unless there is a specific policy that got deprecated then you won't be able to edit it but it will still execute.

Regards,
    (Abdullah)^2

Thursday, April 6, 2017 5:53 PM
  • https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/compute/remote-desktop-services/upgrade-to-rds-2016?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

This might be late to the topic but this is what I am following. Seems clear enough.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:57 PM