none
SBS 2011 Server - Is it possible to add Windows 2016 Server as a backup domain controller? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

We have a site that is running SBS 2011 as a domain controller and file sharing server. The mail has been moved to Office 365 so we are not reliant on Microsoft Exchange, and we are not using the web services or Sharpoint or any of the rest of the SBS features. It is simply just the domain controller and file sharing server. We are concerned that this is the only server that has a copy of the domain information and we are looking to provide redundancy for this. 

A Windows Server 2016 server was installed a few years ago as a member server, but I would now like to promote this to a domain controller, and act as the backup domain controller for the network. Ideally, I would like to eventually move the file shares from the SBS 2011 to the Windows Server 2016 server, and then retire the SBS 2011. Is it possible to do this? 

Please note that I have to be careful about how I proceed on this because there is another database server there (which was put in by the software house) that is dependent on the domain users. 

thanks

Monday, September 16, 2019 7:10 AM

All replies

• Jonathan,

Yes, you can promote the 2016 member server to become a replica domain domain controller but you must make sure the FSMO roles stay on the SBS 2011 until you are ready to migrate the database you mentioned.

The SBS 2011 has to be the owner of all FSMO roles so adding another DC is not a problem but as soon as you move FSMO to the other DC you are no longer compliant with the EULA and the SBS 2011 will shut itself down after 21 days.

From an elevated Powershell (on the 2016 server) prompt run this to see where the FSMO roles are.

(Get-ADForest).Domains | %{ Get-ADDomainController -Filter * -Server $_ } | fl Hostname,IsGlobalCatalog,OperatingSystem,OperationMasterRoles

Once you are ready to move the roles run this from the 2016 server:

Move-ADDirectoryServerOperationMasterRole -Identity $env:computername -Server $env:computername 0,1,2,3,4

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way

• Edited by Mariette Knap Monday, September 16, 2019 7:21 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Mariette Knap Monday, September 16, 2019 2:54 PM
    Monday, September 16, 2019 7:20 AM
  • Hi Mariëtte, 

Thank you for your quick response! That seems pretty clear. 

If I promote the 2016 server to a domain controller, and keep the FSMO roles on the SBS 2011, what happens if the SBS 2011 dies. This won't afford me the opportunity to move the FSMO roles - is it possible to just start those roles up on the 2016 server with the SBS 2011 server offline? 

thanks again, 

Monday, September 16, 2019 8:52 AM
  • If the SBS 2011 dies and all roles are still on the SBS 2011 you need to seize the dead DC, read https://theitbros.com/transfer-fsmo-roles-from-failed-domain-controller/

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | DNN MVP 2019

• Proposed as answer by Mariette Knap Monday, September 16, 2019 2:54 PM
    Monday, September 16, 2019 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

Below is a blog on Microsoft website which provide you detail information about adding another DC to SBS domain, just for your reference. 

Debunking Myths About Additional Domain Controllers In SBS Domains:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2007/10/04/debunking-myths-about-additional-domain-controllers-in-sbs-domains/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:27 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang   

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 8:44 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, September 26, 2019 9:36 AM