Changing package GUID of an existing App-V 5.0 Package RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Everyone,

is there a way to change the package GUID of an existing App-V Package without sequencing it again? 

In App-V 4.6 we often used "save as new package" within the sequencer to have a completely unique copy of an existing package with only a few changes! I am not talking about an update of an existing software package. I am talking about two different Packages with the same binaries but maybe different in configuration but both need to exist on the same device (notebook or what ever) and can be started in parallel (at least theoretically). So I need to be able to start both versions. As far as I can see, the only way is to create the package completely new, which ends up in a lot of effort specially when talking about complex installation routines of a software. Is there a way, to change the package GUID using a tool or something else ? Or is there any other way to archive what I want?

Cheers

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Check out the App-V Sequencing Guide for 5.0...that also has an image in it but here's the text:

Sometimes, a package needs to be updated, but the business community still wants access to the existing package.  This could be used to introduce a new pilot version of the application and, eventually, deprecate the previous version after proper testing.  In this scenario, follow these steps:

• Copy the package to the Sequencer.
    • Open the package using Modify and existing Virtual Application Package.
    • Select the type of upgrade to perform at the Select Task screen.
    • Run the installation wizard and make the appropriate changes to the package.
    • Perform the steps in the sequencing wizard as usual.
    • At the Create Package screen, select “Continue to modify package without saving using the package editor.”
    • In the Shortcuts and FTAs tab in the Package Editor, edit the names and versions of the shortcuts to make them unique as two shortcuts can be published with the same name in the same location.
    • Select the “File” pull-down menu then “Save As” to save the package (Figure 24).  Check the “Save As New Package” checkbox to create a new GUID and a new package root. 
    • The Sequencer will save the updated package with the new name.  This new package would be distributed alongside the previous version on the clients

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:15 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:38 PM
  • Hey,

thanks for your reply. We can't find the option "save as new package" as mentioned in the screenshot within the sequencing guide. It's simply not there when opening the sequencer for app-v 5.0 within our environment. Talking to Microsoft, they said this screenshot is from a app-v 4.6 sequencer but showing the app-v 5.0 format *.appv in the dialog. I am confused. 

Is the guide wrong? If so, how should customers workaround this ? 

THX 

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:08 PM
  • Again talked to MS. They said the Screenshot is "Photoshoped" within the guide and this option/flag/feature is not available :-) 

Its getting really funny! Fix the sequencer or fix the guide :-) Any Ideas ? 

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:14 PM
  • What? I'll take a look tonight. I don't have App-V 5.0 Sequencer setup here. I'm pretty sure I've seen Save As!

Are you using 5.0, 5.0 SP1 or the 5.0 SP2 (beta) ?

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:39 PM
  • Hey,

thanks for your effort! I talked to our packaging guys and they confirmed using App-V 5.0 and App-V 5.0 SP1 with version 5.0.285.0 and Version 5.0.1104.0 of the sequencer. 

Would be great to hear from you! 

thx 

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:45 PM
  • Hey Sebastian,

I haven't forgot about you but some production issue came up at work last night so was working most of the evening\night. I'll check later tonight and update. If anyone else see's this and has quick availability to check, please go ahead.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Hi,

I'm pretty sure  that the 'save as new package' feature does not exist in App-V 5 any longer (also 5.0 SP2 Beta does not offer that feature).

According to MS, DynamicConfiguration should be 'good enough' to adress most of the branch office / other department / Dev/Test/Prod scenarios.

I don't have it with me, but I think to remember that Gridmetric's App-V Explorer can modify GUIDs:

http://blog.gridmetric.com/2013/08/12/application-virtualization-explorer-now-with-app-v-5-support/

http://www.gridmetric.com/products/ave_editions.html

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

• Marked as answer by Sebastian Zolg Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:38 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:43 PM
  • Doesn't look like it's there. Highly dubious that a screenshot was included that isn't the release version :)

• Marked as answer by Sebastian Zolg Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:38 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 2:49 PM
  • Hey,

thx a lot! Its really dubious :-) 

I'll open a case at MS to get a chance to see this feature again. We'll also test the tool mentioned above!

thx for your effort again

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:37 PM