Accessing Public folders - Outlook 2010 and Outlook Today RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Can Anyone assist with his ? I know that access to public folders has changed in Outlook 2010 as opposed to Outlook 2003. We are running Exchange 2003 with a custom outlook today html file that shows 3 public folder calenders. Out issue is that we cannot recreate this in Outlook 2010 as it simply refuses to work - even if you put your email address into the url to open the public folder tree

What are we missing?

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:44 AM

Answers

• Hi!

Please try this on a client machine:

1.  Exit Outlook. 
    2.  Start Registry Editor. 
    3.  Locate and then select one of the following registry subkeys:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security

Note: Manually create the path in the registry if it does not currently exist.
    4.  Add the following registry data under this subkey:
    Value type: DWORD

Note: If you are using a 64 bit version of Outlook client then you will have to create a Dword (64-Bit) Value.

Value name: NonDefaultStoreScript
    Value Data: 0 , 1 or 2 Depending on your requirement. Please review the table below to select the apropriate value.

5. Exit Registry Editor
    6.  Start Outlook. 

I pulled this reghack from another issue with a description of:

Folder Home Pages cannot be configured or set for non-default or secondary Exchange accounts. The Address text box and Show home page by default for this folder checkbox are disabled (grayed) out in the Home Page tab of that Exchange mailbox folder properties

If that doesn't help, I'd suggest calling in and opening a support incident with the Outlook team. That way we'd be able to work with you directly and see if we can reproduce the issue on our end and go from there.

Hope the reg setting works! :-)

Jahawk MSFT

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:05 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Hi!

Bad\incomplete\ambiguous paste of data on my part.

No table. --Should have caught on to that!

The 2 possible values for "NonDefaultStoreScript" are:

DWORD "0" -->Off

DWORD "1" -->On

Oh, and the paste I did gave "2" as a possible value. I have not seen anything on a DWORD:0000002 value for the NonDefaultStoreScript. So, stick to 0 (off) or 1 (on). Haven't tested it, but I would assume a value of "2" would probably do nothing and would result in it being "Off".

I am grateful to you pointing out my mistake and providing me the chance to set things straight. :-) I can honestly tell you all that I just closed a support ticket on using the NonDefaultStoreScript to enable the “Show home page by default for this folder” on (non-default store) PST-homed folders.

Thanks!

Jahawk MSFT

Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Hi

Sorry not been back to check since asking the original question ! It seems this feature has been "deprecated" - so basically it's history, Outlook 2010 and newer simply cannot do what the older versions could.

What we were after was simply to display public folder diaries integrated into our customised "outlook today" but it cannot be done. in the end we had an excellent and reasonable developer write a custom webapp/scriptlet to do what we needed in a browser.

Not ideal but an acceptable workaround

Just wanted to post this to save anyone else wasting as much time as we did !

• Marked as answer by robindin Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:15 PM
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:13 PM

All replies

•  

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Thursday, March 3, 2011 7:57 AM
  • Hi!

Please try this on a client machine:

1.  Exit Outlook. 
    2.  Start Registry Editor. 
    3.  Locate and then select one of the following registry subkeys:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security

Note: Manually create the path in the registry if it does not currently exist.
    4.  Add the following registry data under this subkey:
    Value type: DWORD

Note: If you are using a 64 bit version of Outlook client then you will have to create a Dword (64-Bit) Value.

Value name: NonDefaultStoreScript
    Value Data: 0 , 1 or 2 Depending on your requirement. Please review the table below to select the apropriate value.

5. Exit Registry Editor
    6.  Start Outlook. 

I pulled this reghack from another issue with a description of:

Folder Home Pages cannot be configured or set for non-default or secondary Exchange accounts. The Address text box and Show home page by default for this folder checkbox are disabled (grayed) out in the Home Page tab of that Exchange mailbox folder properties

If that doesn't help, I'd suggest calling in and opening a support incident with the Outlook team. That way we'd be able to work with you directly and see if we can reproduce the issue on our end and go from there.

Hope the reg setting works! :-)

Jahawk MSFT

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:05 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 5:15 PM
  • "Value name: NonDefaultStoreScript
    Value Data: 0 , 1 or 2 Depending on your requirement. Please review the table below to select the apropriate value."

What table are you referring to?

Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Hi!

Bad\incomplete\ambiguous paste of data on my part.

No table. --Should have caught on to that!

The 2 possible values for "NonDefaultStoreScript" are:

DWORD "0" -->Off

DWORD "1" -->On

Oh, and the paste I did gave "2" as a possible value. I have not seen anything on a DWORD:0000002 value for the NonDefaultStoreScript. So, stick to 0 (off) or 1 (on). Haven't tested it, but I would assume a value of "2" would probably do nothing and would result in it being "Off".

I am grateful to you pointing out my mistake and providing me the chance to set things straight. :-) I can honestly tell you all that I just closed a support ticket on using the NonDefaultStoreScript to enable the “Show home page by default for this folder” on (non-default store) PST-homed folders.

Thanks!

Jahawk MSFT

Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:11 PM
  • From what i have seen in our company, in outlook 2010, the only way to gain access to the public folders is to enter the users folder path in completion.
    (i.e. - outlook://Public Folders - UserAddress@Domain.com/All Public Folders/Subfolder/Resource)

The issue with this, is that there is no script or wildcard that i can figure out to do this automatically.
    I've tried %username%, %email%, etc. and no luck.

We too used to use a centralized custom oulook today html page, and reference about 10-12 public folders in this same manner, and had no problem doing so from Outlook 2000 - 2007, ... but now with 2010, they've broken that functionality.

Individualized outlook todays would need to be created for each person, otherwise you cannot reference the public folder through a link on the outlook today page.
    External internet/intranet links work fine, but not public folders.

I too would LOVE it if someone was able to get a fix for this.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Hi Shawn,

Don't know if this will hurt, or help. But here I go. :-)

The NonDefaultStoreScript is a registry setting that enables folder's Home Page --> "Show home page by default for this folder"

I'll assume from your post that you are wanting to do that with a public folder in Outlook 2010.

Anyways.......If your Mailbox's naming convention is like mine, then you either see your SMTP address at the top of your Mailbox's set of folders (the store). Or you see "Mailbox - MailboxAlias".

If the top folder of your Mailbox store is your SMTP address (like mine is), you're set. If you have "Mailbox - Alias", then you'll want to pull off the alias using a String function. --Approach it like you would pulling the filename from a folderpath.

Below is a sample snippet I wrote to create a string that would have "Public Folders - MyAlias@myDomain.com"

DISCLAIMER: The code is provided only as a courtesy to our customers. It is not supported in any way by Microsoft.

Sub get-MailboxName()

Dim store As outlook.store
    Dim stores As outlook.stores
    Dim strPublicFolder As String

Set stores = outlook.Session.stores

For Each store In stores
         If store.ExchangeStoreType = olPrimaryExchangeMailbox Then
            strPublicFolder = "Public Folders - " & store.GetRootFolder.Name
          End If
    Next

Set store = Nothing
    Set stores = Nothing

End Sub

To programmatically set the Home Page on a folder, you can use the Outlook Object Model to set the Outlook folder's .WebViewUrl and .WebViewOn properties.

Sub setWebViewURL()

Dim folder As outlook.folder
    Set folder = outlook.Session.PickFolder 'you will change this to the folder path of your PF
    folder.WebViewURL = "http://www.bing.com" 'set to internal\external link
    folder.WebViewOn = True

Set folder = Nothing

Edn Sub

Does this help? If not, my apologies for making things even more confusing.

Take care,

Jahawk MSFT

Friday, June 10, 2011 12:23 AM
  • Hi

Sorry not been back to check since asking the original question ! It seems this feature has been "deprecated" - so basically it's history, Outlook 2010 and newer simply cannot do what the older versions could.

What we were after was simply to display public folder diaries integrated into our customised "outlook today" but it cannot be done. in the end we had an excellent and reasonable developer write a custom webapp/scriptlet to do what we needed in a browser.

Not ideal but an acceptable workaround

Just wanted to post this to save anyone else wasting as much time as we did !

• Marked as answer by robindin Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:15 PM
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 11:13 PM