none
MDT 2012 and WDS RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction? I had setup MDT 2012 and WDS on a 2008 R2 standard server. It was working great and I had no problems with PXE boot, sysprep and capture or deploying images. The server stopped working due to issues with VMWare and I had to rebuild it. I decided to use Server 2012 this time at the suggestion of someone who is using Server 2012 and claims an increase in performance over 2008. Here is the problem:

Once I reinstalled MDT 2012 and WDS, I now have problems PXE booting from some models of Dell - we are primarily using Dell desktops - computers. Specifically 580s and GX 620s. Has anyone expierenced this problem? The error is I believe a 5602 error - "no boot filename received". Can someone offer some suggestions? Thank you.

Tony

Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:31 PM

All replies

• So, PXE is working for some models but not for others?  Did the IP of the server change when you rebuilt it?  Did you change from WAIK to ADK when you did the reinstall?  Did you initialize WDS and then add the MDT Boot Images again?  And are you booting x86 or x64 (or both) and which are working and which aren't?  Just looking for patterns to help isolate the issue. : )

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:35 PM
    Answerer
  • David,

Thanks for the response. The only thing I really changed is going from Server 2008 R2 to Server 2012. Of course, WDS has also changed because of the server change. The strange thing is this, the deployment always works fine. I can boot from a Windows PE DVD and run the deployment. Dell Optiplex 760 model boots from the network using pxe most of the time. The other models we have are Optiplex 580s, 390s, 380s and GX 620s. These do not boot at all. I receive the 5602 boot filename not received errors. It does work for HP Compaq laptops though. Specifically the nx7400 and 6710b series. The IP address is the same. DNS has not been changed, and DHCP and DNS were already configured and running on another system. I did not set any parameters for DHCP on the MDT/WDS server. I still have the WAIK installed although I do all my imaging using MDT 2012 so far.

Tony

• Edited by Tony Trovato Friday, July 26, 2013 2:24 PM additional information
    Friday, July 26, 2013 2:22 PM
  • If it works some of the time and not others (and specially since it's mostly fine on HP and not Dell), my next guess would be BIOS version and / or BIOS configuration.  Are these machines set for UEFI boot or BIOS?  UEFI with Legacy?  I'd try a few combos on a box not working and see if it makes a difference.  I had issues getting a Dell machine with UEFI+Legacy configured to boot correctly and when I switched it back to Classic BIOS, it PXE booted fine.  It was with Server 2012 and a Dell 990.  It's worth a shot to look at.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:43 AM
    Answerer
  • Ok, I will give this a shot. It is odd though that it did work fine before everything crashed, with Server 2008 configuration. I'm just wondering if it might have something to do with the WDS and version of Windows Server. I'll work on it and let you know. Thank you for the help.
    Monday, July 29, 2013 12:01 PM
  • It could be that you had both 32 and 64bit PXE boot images but now you only have one of  the two.

UEFI is peculiar as it needs the right image to work for the specific model.

Monday, July 29, 2013 12:58 PM
  • I'm far from a PXE expert but I remember issues when we first started getting Windows 8 (UEFI) based laptops and I switched to using wdsnbp.com as the boot program,  this contains some auto-detection of architecture...

Not sure if its related,  just running from memory at the moment.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 1:46 AM