Older video game on disc installed but won't load/play RRS feed

• Question

•  I recently purchased a brand new laptop with windows 10. I decided to pull out one of my favorite old games. Microsoft's Age of Mythology. I installed both the game and expansion pack with zero problems but when I go to run the game, first a notification pops up asking, "if I want this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to my device." I've clicked on yes and nothing happens. I've taken the disc out and reinserted it, the game window will pop up and I click run and nothing happens. Is there some kind of setting preventing my game from actually running? 
    Sunday, April 15, 2018 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Joshua_Daniel123.

Since you're talking about an old program, you could try changing the compatibility settings of the game's executable file: right click that file and choose Properties; in the Compatibility tab, tick the Run this program in compatibility mode for: checkbox and choose a Windows version from the below list. Click Apply and then OK and try running the game again.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

• Edited by Luigi BrunoMVP Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Monday, April 16, 2018 7:35 AM
    Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:38 PM
  • the copy protection which was used is not compatible with Windows 10 (or at least with x64), see: Age of Mythology - Windows 10
    so one solution would be to use a crack for the game, but this is
    1. illegal
    2. dangerous: the crack might contain malware

Monday, April 16, 2018 5:27 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem?  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 2:03 AM