Microsoft office to be part of sequencer bas image? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In sequencer 4.5 RTM white paper it is said that if microsoft office is part of base image of the client then include it as a part of the base image in sequencer why? Does this means if the client base build already contains microsoft office in built with Operating System or also if it is installed seperately after Operating System is installed seperately? What is the basic reason behind this ? Kindly advice.

Thanks & Regards,

S.Yuvaraj.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

the idea is to have the Sequencer Image as close to the "Default Image", "Standard Client Image" or whatever it is called. This is necessary, because if the Sequencer Image contains more Applications and Components then the Standard Client Image, it may happen that the Virtuall Application Container does not include all required components (becvause they have not been "added" during Sequencing they won't be part of the Copntainer)

On the other hand, if there are to view Applications and Compnents on the Sequencer, the Containers become to big (and harder to manage) because components would be part of the Container althoug they can be found on the Client.

Office is usualy considered as part of the Standard Image, because it is used by a lot of applications and does not cause too many compatibility issues.

Friday, October 17, 2008 5:27 PM
  • Adding on...

With DSC, you may find that you want two standard images to sequence on. One with and one without office.  DSC makes it more reasonable to sequence office (although I believe most existing SoftGrid customers won't bother to switch).   For applications that *should* have nothing to do with office (Adobe reader comes to mind) I only want to sequence it once, no matter what happens to Office.

Ultimately it depends on how well you control your base images on EVERY client.  Some companies are very good at this and using a base that includes both the .net framework and office makes sense.  Others have little client image control, or are so large as to have many client images that they control.

Monday, October 20, 2008 11:36 AM
  • Adding on to some of the answers. First, Office is widely used application. Every company that I know of uses one version or another. When Office is installed it integrates into a lot of the operating system, a fair bit more than most normal applications.

What I recommend is to install the latest current version of office that the company has standardizes on (Most are 2003, or 2007) and sequence any older version that may be required.

Another reason that it's good to include Office in the base image is that so many companies build plug-in and integrations with Office. Many of the application that rely on office can be sequenced. The success rate for applications when Office is installed natively on the client tends to be a bit better from my experience. Even with DSC (Dynamic Suite Composition).

This brings us as to why it's recommended to install Office on the sequencing image. Like .Net Office becomes an integral part of Windows and the best practice is to have your sequencing image as close to your client image as possible.

Daniel Nerenberg MCT MCSE MCITP MCTS MVP
    Friday, January 9, 2009 3:23 AM
  • ...still...

I would prefer to have a couple of sequencer images, one with and one without.  Apps that have nothing to do with office should be sequenced on the bare mnimum OS.  Those apps will not need to be re-sequenced or (perhaps more importantly) retested for when client machines receive a different office version.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 10:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the idea is to have the Sequencer Image as close to the "Default Image", "Standard Client Image" or whatever it is called. This is necessary, because if the Sequencer Image contains more Applications and Components then the Standard Client Image, it may happen that the Virtuall Application Container does not include all required components (becvause they have not been "added" during Sequencing they won't be part of the Copntainer)

On the other hand, if there are to view Applications and Compnents on the Sequencer, the Containers become to big (and harder to manage) because components would be part of the Container althoug they can be found on the Client.

Office is usualy considered as part of the Standard Image, because it is used by a lot of applications and does not cause too many compatibility issues.

Friday, October 17, 2008 5:27 PM
  • Adding on...

With DSC, you may find that you want two standard images to sequence on. One with and one without office.  DSC makes it more reasonable to sequence office (although I believe most existing SoftGrid customers won't bother to switch).   For applications that *should* have nothing to do with office (Adobe reader comes to mind) I only want to sequence it once, no matter what happens to Office.

Ultimately it depends on how well you control your base images on EVERY client.  Some companies are very good at this and using a base that includes both the .net framework and office makes sense.  Others have little client image control, or are so large as to have many client images that they control.

Monday, October 20, 2008 11:36 AM
  • If I had sequenced Office and had distributed it to client systems how would for example Internet Explorer (present on client system) "spawn"  an application from Office (sequenced) if a "web-site" required it e.g. Internet Explorer trying to display a spreadsheet using Excel?
    Usally the file associations are configured to use locally installed applications. Or am I "missing something" obvious?
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:35 PM
  • Adding on to some of the answers. First, Office is widely used application. Every company that I know of uses one version or another. When Office is installed it integrates into a lot of the operating system, a fair bit more than most normal applications.

What I recommend is to install the latest current version of office that the company has standardizes on (Most are 2003, or 2007) and sequence any older version that may be required.

Another reason that it's good to include Office in the base image is that so many companies build plug-in and integrations with Office. Many of the application that rely on office can be sequenced. The success rate for applications when Office is installed natively on the client tends to be a bit better from my experience. Even with DSC (Dynamic Suite Composition).

This brings us as to why it's recommended to install Office on the sequencing image. Like .Net Office becomes an integral part of Windows and the best practice is to have your sequencing image as close to your client image as possible.

Daniel Nerenberg MCT MCSE MCITP MCTS MVP
    Friday, January 9, 2009 3:23 AM
  • ...still...

I would prefer to have a couple of sequencer images, one with and one without.  Apps that have nothing to do with office should be sequenced on the bare mnimum OS.  Those apps will not need to be re-sequenced or (perhaps more importantly) retested for when client machines receive a different office version.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 10:05 PM
  • I second Tim's opinion here; with virtual machines is so easy to have different variations on OS configuration there's no real reason not to have several different "bases" for different sequencing needs.

Office especially lays down a lot of shared libraries which may then be used by other applications being sequenced, leaving those libraries out of the sequence. Now, what happens if - for instance - Office version gets updated on all of the machines, all your sequences rely on very specific OS configuration..

It's the bit same issue that I have sometimes seen with old Visual Basic runtimes and sorts; people tend to have these in the base image as some apps still requires it, but when later on building new OS image they might not be there anymore. And then your sequences start to break down if you foolishly used your corporate image as sequencing base.

/Kalle
    Monday, July 13, 2009 8:59 AM