none
Sharing a Dell TL2000 Tape Loader in DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently setting up a DPM 2010 environment and am having some issues sharing a Dell TL2000 tape loader.  The setup I have is 2 servers with DPM 2010 installed and they are both connected to a Dell MD3200 storage array which has 2 LUNs configured (each server having access to 1 LUN each).  I have connected the TL2000 autoloader to one of the DPM servers and want to share it with the other server so I can use it for offsite backups (I am planning Disk to Disk to Tape backups with the storage array being configured as the storage pools for each of the DPM servers).

I have followed the instructions for sharing a tape loader (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399106.aspx), and the second DPM server recognised the tape drive briefly, but it is showing as offline and I get an error stating Drive IBM Ultrium 5 HH 3580 TAPE DRIVE in Tape Library IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library is not zoned properly (ID 24088).

My questions are as follows:

1. Is this possible?  I notice in the article mentioned the following note:

"The tape library must be in a storage area network (SAN) environment."

The tape library is not in a SAN environment as such as it is directly connected to one of the DPM servers, which are not clustered themselves.  The MD3200 is not a SAN, but a storage array, so I would like to know if I can still share the loader in this situation.

2. If this is not possible, how can I configure my backup environment to run a weekly tape backup of the servers that are protected by the 2nd DPM server which is not directly connected to the tape loader?  I can browse from the first DPM server to the second (having installed the Agent?!) and I can see the Protected Servers.  If I run a backup to tape this way I guess I will have a backup of these servers, but it will not be part of the original Protection Groups.  Is this going to cause me problems in the case of Recoveries, including BMR?

Thanks

Chris

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:14 PM

Answers

• The response I have received from Dell and from my own subsequent research shows that I cannot share the tape drive / library, but I am able to back up the protected servers on my second DPM server across the network onto the primary DPM server's tape drive.
    • Marked as answer by chris624 Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:46 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:46 PM

All replies

• From further investigation I know I can't share the tape loader as this would only be possible if it was connected via iSCSI or if it was in a SAN environment.

However I am still looking for clarification on whether I can back the 2nd DPM server's (no tape drive) storage pool up to tape across the network to the 1st DPM Server and it's tape drive.  I can see this is possible, but is it an effective way of getting an offsite tape backup of the 2nd DPM server's storage pool.

Any advice / tips would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Chris

Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:45 AM
  • This seems as though I am unable to do anything about this.  I am now backing up the second DPM server's storage pool to tape over the network via the Protected Servers selection.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:43 AM
  • The response I have received from Dell and from my own subsequent research shows that I cannot share the tape drive / library, but I am able to back up the protected servers on my second DPM server across the network onto the primary DPM server's tape drive.
    • Marked as answer by chris624 Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:46 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:46 PM