Outlook 2010, read receipts and inbox redirection rule. RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone tell me if outlook 2010 client rule will forward a read receipt?  

Scenario:  I send a piece of mail with a read receipt from a mailbox which with a rule which will redirect then delete all messages.  The message is read and the read receipt is sent back to the mailbox.  The read receipt is deleted but the message is never forwarded.

I've located a document back from an ancient version of outlook that states outlook will not forward a read receipt and wondering if this still applies to 2010.  It looks like it does but was hoping to get a confirmation from someone.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281924

Monday, November 14, 2011 10:11 PM

Answers

• No.
    Read Receipts are like NDRs, system messages and cannot be forwarded. This isn't a limitation of Outlook, because the forward doesn't occur there, it is a limitation of Exchange.

However if you have a mailbox that is forwarding and deleting, then why are you using a rule to do that? Set the store and forward in Exchange and don't enable the store part. No rule required, plus that will forward the receipt.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:00 AM