One or more column references are not allowed, because the columns are defined as a data type that is not supported in formulas. RRS feed

• Question

• try to use calculated column reference to "WikiContent" column, but get error references are not allowed.

I guess it is because of the content type.

Acutally I want to refer to Name column, Left(name,1), but it says doesn't exist.

The formula refers to a column that does not exist.  Check the formula for spelling mistakes or change the non-existing column to an existing column.

• Edited by George Zhou Monday, September 12, 2011 2:51 PM
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, September 12, 2011 3:30 PM not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, September 12, 2011 2:45 PM

Answers

• Hi George,

Not all data types can be used in Formulas in SharePoint, if the data type you use is not in the scope of the available data types, you will receive “one or more column references are not allowed, because the columns are defined as a data type that is not supported in formulas”.

The Name column in library is a special column that it is not available either to lookups for other lists or to the calculated column feature.it will prompt “the formula refers to a column that does not exist…”

To use the value of the Name field to a calculated field, here I have a workaround, you can have a try:

1.       Create a column single line of text, named like NameCopy.

2.       Create a workflow using SharePoint Designer, set action : set field in current item, set NameCopy to library:Name.

3.       Create a calculate column, use formulas with NameCopy instead of Name.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,                   
    Qiao Wei

• Marked as answer by George Zhou Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:22 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:38 AM

All replies