Unable to see User allocated policies via SCClient but able to via browser RRS feed

• Question

• We are evaluating System Center 2012 but I've come to an issue that I'm unable to resolve.

When I deploy an application to a user group, the SC Client doesn't list it in the Available Software tab.

If I click on "Find additional applications from the Application Catalog" to open the web browser version of the client, I see all the applications that I've assigned to the user.

I can only assume the SCClient isn't authenticating me with the server, is there someway I can confirm this and is there any solutions to this issue?

Deploying applications to devices is fine...

Any help is appreciated.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 3:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Dave,

The Software Center and Application Catalog are two separate things.

The Software Center only displays software that is available or required on the device.  Deployments that are available but not required to the user/group are only displayed in the Application Catalog.  Once the user elects to install the available app, it will show up in the Software Center under Installed Software.

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    If you found a bug or want the product to work differently, share your feedback.
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click the up arrow or propose as answer.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:58 PM
  • Correct, and a very common mistake made to new people of Configuration Manager 2012.

Software Center is really for 'device' targeted software

Application Catalog is for 'user' targeted software

It would be great is there was a single UI for end users to use instead of three potential UI (adding in the Company Portal). But there is not currently, so you have to know which to use when.

Wally Mead

Thursday, October 2, 2014 6:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

The Software Center and Application Catalog are two separate things.

The Software Center only displays software that is available or required on the device.  Deployments that are available but not required to the user/group are only displayed in the Application Catalog.  Once the user elects to install the available app, it will show up in the Software Center under Installed Software.

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    If you found a bug or want the product to work differently, share your feedback.
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click the up arrow or propose as answer.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:58 PM
  • Correct, and a very common mistake made to new people of Configuration Manager 2012.

Software Center is really for 'device' targeted software

Application Catalog is for 'user' targeted software

It would be great is there was a single UI for end users to use instead of three potential UI (adding in the Company Portal). But there is not currently, so you have to know which to use when.

Wally Mead

Thursday, October 2, 2014 6:31 PM
  • Thanks to both of you for your reply, we are current users of ZenWorks and I'm not liking the little 'quirks' with SCCM that ZenWorks doesn't have.

Eg;
    No direct reg changes
    No file copying
    Unable to create application shortcuts
    Have to create folders within software to manage them better
    If have several tasks need to create software application for each one and configure dependencies - using folders is a must
    Not quite worked out how to create multiple DPs and how to manage space usage etc
    Now I have to use multiple UI to deploy software.

I know we can use GPOs and scripts (batch, kix, vbs, etc) to do what we can't, but I find it shocking that a system like SCCM by MS is so basic in software deployment but so complex in the back end configuration.

• Edited by ShadyDave Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:57 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:04 PM
  • No product is without its issues. I'll bet (just a guess) that you'd find things with your current product that you don't like either. You just got used to the 'quirks' and now are accustomed to them, just like you would with Configuration Manager. No product can be designed to accommodate everyone's wishes, so they are designed as best they see fit.

I'm sorry that you think it is flawed, but I am sure that if you spent some time with it, you'd get more comfortable with it, and learn how to use it properly to get the job done that you want to do.

And, no one is making you switch, if your current solution does what you need, then no reason to make a big change. But I think you'd learn to love it as we all have if you really gave it a chance. A great way to learn more is to try out the TechNet Virtual labs at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/virtuallabs

Just search for Configuration Manager, and there are a couple of dozen labs there that cover the various features of the product. They are a great way to learn, as they come with scripts to complete the scenario (of course, you can go off road and do whatever you want too :-)

Wally Mead

Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:12 PM
  • Thanks Wally, it's far from flawed but you're correct that every solution has it's own quirks.

I do see that MS aimed this at the huge multinational companies adding the ability to use multiple site servers, DP groups, custom client installation to target specific devices,  etc.

Anyway, thanks again for your input.

Dave

Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:36 PM
  • Not just those type of customers, there are many, many thousands of customers that are what would be considered smaller environments - hundreds to thousands of managed clients, that very successfully use Configuration Manager.

I am the first to admit that it is not an easy product to just pick up and use - you need to spend time with it, take training, experiment with virtual labs, etc. After you do, you will find that it is extremely powerful and can do a lot for you in your management of various platforms.

Good luck with whatever you decide. If you decide to move forward with Configuration Manager, I'd advise taking advantage of some of the virtual labs and training available, and then come back here to ask specific questions that you have.

Wally Mead

Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:40 PM