none
BSoD after Installing SP3 and Continual Reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello;

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered but I could not find a solution fitting my particuliar problem. My computer skills are just slightly above basic when dealing with software issues such as this.

Prior to my fateful install of SP3, my system (Dell Dimension 8200, P4 1.8GHz, 1GB RDRAM, nVidia 6200 256MB, 120MB Maxtor HD LiteOn DVD/CD ROM, HP 1020i Lightscribe DVD RW, and a floppy drive) was current with all updates and running smoothly. II set a restore point first. After following all the instructions for installing SP3, my system rebooted and all seemed to be going fine until I got just a quick flash of a BSoD which I was unable to read and then it began to reboot again reaching the BSoD and back to start.

I then broke out my XP CD and tried booting from the safe mode. With every option I tried, I would get as far as the BSoD and then a reboot.This included trying to boot from the last known working/good configuration option.

I realize that in order to begin to diagnose what is going on, I need to be able to read the BSoD but I don't know how to do that? I really do not want to have to reformat the Hd and start from square one as I went through that not quite a year ago when I installed the new Maxtor HD. I do have access to a portable USB HD connection to which I can connect the Maxtor HD to my laptop if necessary to repair any faulty files.

I greatly appreciate any assistance and consdideration for my lack of expertise while trying to sort this out as soon as possible.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 4:36 PM

Answers

• Well, it turned out to be the gdi32.dll file. After replacing it by using a USB adapter to connect the HD to my laptop, my Dimension finally booted up. Of course now everything is running slow, cpu usage is nearly always at 100% and many programs are not responding. The version number was 3311.

I plan to unistallthe SP3 that is now on my system and then rethink about installing the final version.

Thanks for your help.

Gerry
    Monday, April 28, 2008 3:28 AM
  • One last bit of information that proved to be helpful to me in completely resolving this situation. As has been drummed into the heads of those who pay attention, I set a restore point prior to the installation of the SP3 version I installed. Once I was able to get back into my system, I reset to that restore point and all traces of the offending SP3 were gone and after a bit of cleanup my system is running as well as a 6+ year old system can run.

Lessons learn #1; read all the fine print about any significant updates, especially beta software.

Lesson #2; Trust the folks that know when they say back up yor data frequently and ALWAYS set a restore point before installing ANY new software or updates.

I appreciate the help and attention of all those here and probably should have come here when things first went awry.

Gerry
    Monday, April 28, 2008 8:04 PM

All replies

• Which Build number of SP3 did you install, and from where did you obtain it?  Was it a pre-release test version?

Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:36 PM
  • I intially thought it was the final release version, but given that this happened about a week and a half ago, I can only assume it was one of the pre-release versions and I missed the usual cavets. I obtained it directly from Microsoft's download site. I'm sorry I cannot provide more information. It was one of the few times I didn't read all the details concerning a downloaded program update.

From perusing the BSoD posts, it seems many people who installed a pre-release version have had problems with gdi32.dll becoming damaged and needing to be replaced with a fresh copy. Is this a lead worth trying?

Thank you for the prompt response.

Gerry
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 11:13 PM
  • Well, it turned out to be the gdi32.dll file. After replacing it by using a USB adapter to connect the HD to my laptop, my Dimension finally booted up. Of course now everything is running slow, cpu usage is nearly always at 100% and many programs are not responding. The version number was 3311.

I plan to unistallthe SP3 that is now on my system and then rethink about installing the final version.

Thanks for your help.

Gerry
    Monday, April 28, 2008 3:28 AM
  • One last bit of information that proved to be helpful to me in completely resolving this situation. As has been drummed into the heads of those who pay attention, I set a restore point prior to the installation of the SP3 version I installed. Once I was able to get back into my system, I reset to that restore point and all traces of the offending SP3 were gone and after a bit of cleanup my system is running as well as a 6+ year old system can run.

Lessons learn #1; read all the fine print about any significant updates, especially beta software.

Lesson #2; Trust the folks that know when they say back up yor data frequently and ALWAYS set a restore point before installing ANY new software or updates.

I appreciate the help and attention of all those here and probably should have come here when things first went awry.

Gerry
    Monday, April 28, 2008 8:04 PM