external drive not showing up - which disk initialization method will NOT erase the data on that external hard drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

as thousands of other users, my WD Passport drive worked like a charm until yesterday and now it wont show on any computer, but does show in the Disk management and when plugged in , the Disk Management offers two ways of initialization : MBR and GPT

i dont understand any of that and want to know if any of those two methods will make the disk initialize wITHOUT loosing the data on the drive?

i looked on so many forums and some people say that it will and others that it will not erase the data. 

can you please tell me what is correct?? also a suggestion is to add some more wording to that initializaiton dialog box so that we can know what initialization does and doesnt

thank you so much

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:58 PM

Answers

• WC

"initialization" will erase the data by definition.  You should NEVER have to initialize a disk that has data.  we need more information about the drive and the problem before we can give you any sort of answer.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 10:54 PM
  • Try connecting it to a different computer to see if you can access the data, under no circumstances should you Initialize the drive as all existing data will be lost.

If you still can't access your files, then remove the drive from the case and connect it via an extra SATA cable and power connector (you usually need a desktop PC in order to do this if the drive is a 3.5 inch model, a 2.5in drive will fit into a laptop if you have a spare slot).

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 11:16 PM

All replies

• WC

"initialization" will erase the data by definition.  You should NEVER have to initialize a disk that has data.  we need more information about the drive and the problem before we can give you any sort of answer.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 10:54 PM
  • Try connecting it to a different computer to see if you can access the data, under no circumstances should you Initialize the drive as all existing data will be lost.

If you still can't access your files, then remove the drive from the case and connect it via an extra SATA cable and power connector (you usually need a desktop PC in order to do this if the drive is a 3.5 inch model, a 2.5in drive will fit into a laptop if you have a spare slot).

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 11:16 PM