WEI Scores Now Only Appear to Ratchet Upward RRS feed

• General discussion

• Doing a bit of benchmarking to see what various VM settings changes do for performance, I noticed that the WEI (WinSAT) scores I was getting in my Windows 8 VM would never go down.

Turns out WinSAT was just ratcheting up the scores and I never saw a score go down, even if on a particular run the performance was much less.

Yep, that'll fix it for all those folks who complain that their systems have lost performance.  :-)

Note these commands, specifically, for the WinSAT command line:

Winsat formal -restart clean    Reruns all assessments and provides the same functionality as "forgethistory".
    Winsat forgethistory               Choosing to forgethistory will rate a machine as if for the first time.

Moral of the story:

If you really want an assessment of how your Windows 8 system is running right now, open an elevated CMD prompt and type winsat forgethistory, THEN run your WEI assessment.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Monday, November 5, 2012 4:08 PM

All replies

• Nice tip thanks

Ken

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Sysnative.com Team ZigZag

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:06 AM
  • Afair the same happens in Windows 7. You have to click "re-Run the assessment" to get full new calculation

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:10 PM
    Answerer
  • No, something's different - clicking re-Run the assessment did NOT cause a full new calcuation in Windows 8 for me.  That's precisely what I'm saying here.

Maybe the detection of when a reassessment of each category is needed has become less aggressive.  I've done this kind of testing before with Windows 7 and have not seen the scores fail to re-evaluate on something as basic as changing the number of virtual cores in a VM, for example.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:23 PM