none
Windows Server 2008 R2 Cannot ping DC or Gateway RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am in a bit of a puzzle here with a very weird issue.

We have an Exchange Server 2010 running on Windows Server 2008 R2.  This server has two DNS servers in the IPv4 config of the card and the primary server is the schema master, dns and AD, the secondary server is dns and AD as well (all got global catalogs).

This exchange server cannot ping the Primary DNS Server by IP or hostname, or NSlookup.
    It cannot ping the default gateway, but getting internet fine (very weird)
    it can browse to the Primary DNS Server using \\serverA

I have flushed and registered DNS, 
    I have edited the windows Hosts file and added the Primary DNS hostname and IP and still no joy

It can ping anything else in the whole network and NSlookup.
    On both the Primary and Secondary DNS servers the DNS is correct, both forward and Reverse.  I have even deleted them and recreated.

Windows firewall is completely disabled, I have disabled AV and tried again with no luck.

Server has obviously been restarted numerous amount of times.

I am afraid to take it off the domain and rejoin being a critical business tool with exchange.

Could anyone shine some light of what the issue may be.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 10:39 AM

Answers

• Hi StuatLittle1984,

>This exchange server cannot ping the Primary DNS Server by IP or hostname, or NSlookup. It cannot ping the default gateway, but getting internet fine (very weird)

According to your description, it seems to be a weird issue.

We may use network monitor to check the detailed information when we ping the DNS server. Network monitor is a tool that can perform network traffic capture.

Install network monitor both on the exchange server and the DNS server, when ping from the exchange server, check if the DNS server could receive ICMP packets.

Network monitor download:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 5:21 AM
  • Hi StuartLittle1984,

Then did you see the exchange server sends ICMP packets out to the DC?

Also check the behavior when the exchange server ping default way.

If you didn't see the exchange server send out any packets, then check if re-enable the NIC card could work. If it still doesn't work, check if reset TCP/IP stack could work.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 5:28 AM

All replies

• You can have different network masks on Exch server and DNS servers.

Is there in one subnet ? (please compare masks too)

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 1:48 PM
  • yes, there is only 255.255.255.0

Just using normal cmd prompt I have this issue.  Which leads onto me not being able to upgrade Exchange to service pack 3 because it errors trying to communicate to the DC.  The service pack needs to make a schema change.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 2:11 PM
  • is there in one subnet? or they connected via router ?

Can you post result of "route print" in both servers ?

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 2:44 PM
  • Both Servers are in one subnet of 172.16.2.xxx

the router (gateway) is 172.16.2.252

dns servers are 172.16.2.162 and 172.16.2.150

all using 255.255.255.0

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 4:08 PM
  • Hi StuatLittle1984,

>This exchange server cannot ping the Primary DNS Server by IP or hostname, or NSlookup. It cannot ping the default gateway, but getting internet fine (very weird)

According to your description, it seems to be a weird issue.

We may use network monitor to check the detailed information when we ping the DNS server. Network monitor is a tool that can perform network traffic capture.

Install network monitor both on the exchange server and the DNS server, when ping from the exchange server, check if the DNS server could receive ICMP packets.

Network monitor download:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 5:21 AM
  • thank you, I will try this
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 9:44 AM
  • Hi StuartLittle1984,

Since you may capture a lot of traffic, you may set filter with ICMP.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 9:47 AM
  • the answer is no, it does not receive any ICMP.  I tested this by ping the DC from my own computer and I can clearly see ICMP protocol being received.

this is really frustrating

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:32 AM
  • Hi StuartLittle1984,

Then did you see the exchange server sends ICMP packets out to the DC?

Also check the behavior when the exchange server ping default way.

If you didn't see the exchange server send out any packets, then check if re-enable the NIC card could work. If it still doesn't work, check if reset TCP/IP stack could work.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, January 14, 2016 5:28 AM