Office 2010 won't open. Worked fine yesterday. RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft Office won't open, starting on 12/12/19. Two things changed since day before. 1) Avast Cleanup Premium subscription ended, and 2) Windows did a bunch of updates.

When I try to open either Word or Excel, it says "can't find C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 14\EXCEL.EXE (or word.exe). If I try to repair Office 2010, in Configuration Process, it's browsing for a folder and says "Setup can't find OFFICE.en-US\DWDCW20.DLL". Choosing any other folder, it says "invalid location".

Browsing my Program Files folder/Office 2010, I'm seeing a bunch of .DLL files, but no .EXE, and of course not the DWDCW20 mentioned above.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jan

Monday, December 16, 2019 7:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Herb,

I suspected I might have to uninstall/reinstall to solve this. My version is exactly what you showed in your answer: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.

Meanwhile, I have accidentally solved the problem, and it indeed was due to one of the system changes. I let Avast Clean-up Premium expire, since I didn't want to pay $49 for another year. Then I deleted it. Well, today, there was an ad for cleanup, which I declined, then it offered me 60 day free trial. I said OK. Soon, everything was loaded again, and it asked me to run a scan, which I did. It found problems, I said "fix them", and it did. Once I rebooted, I clicked on an excel file and it opened! I looked in program files\Microsoft Office\Office2014, and a variety of ".exe" files now reside there, whereas they didn't yesterday when I wrote this.

So I've got a bone to pick with Avast. I've used them for years, and they do this to me? I want to ask them when my free trial is over, will it happen again?

Thanks for your answer, Herb.

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 4:11 AM

All replies

• Thanks for visiting our forum. Our forum focuses on Microsoft Teams, which is the hub for team collaboration in Office 365. 

Based on your description, this problem seems related to Office 2010, I will move this case to Office 2010 forum( https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=officeitproprevious). Hope you get better response.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 1:29 AM
  • Hi Jan,

Based on your description, considering that the issue occurred after recent system changes, your Office 2010 installation seems to be corrupted. 

Could you tell me more information about your Office 2010, such as Product Name and version/build number? You can find the product information in Control Panel.

Because you failed to repair Office 2010, I suggest you use a full Office 2010 installation image to repair Office 2010: double-click setup.exe, select Repair and then Continue:

If the issue still occurs or your Office 2010 is a click-to-run installation, you need to uninstall Office 2010 and reinstall Office 2010 using your Office 2010 installation image/package.

If you have trouble uninstalling Office 2010, you may need to manually uninstall Office 2010.

Feel free to post back to tell us if you have any updates or anything unclear.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019. 

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Hi Herb,

I suspected I might have to uninstall/reinstall to solve this. My version is exactly what you showed in your answer: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.

Meanwhile, I have accidentally solved the problem, and it indeed was due to one of the system changes. I let Avast Clean-up Premium expire, since I didn't want to pay $49 for another year. Then I deleted it. Well, today, there was an ad for cleanup, which I declined, then it offered me 60 day free trial. I said OK. Soon, everything was loaded again, and it asked me to run a scan, which I did. It found problems, I said "fix them", and it did. Once I rebooted, I clicked on an excel file and it opened! I looked in program files\Microsoft Office\Office2014, and a variety of ".exe" files now reside there, whereas they didn't yesterday when I wrote this.

So I've got a bone to pick with Avast. I've used them for years, and they do this to me? I want to ask them when my free trial is over, will it happen again?

Thanks for your answer, Herb.

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 4:11 AM
  • Hi Jan,

Thanks for your response. If the issue is caused by Avast, contacting Avast support is the best way to solve the problem.

Please remember to mark your above reply as answer. It will benefit all community members who are facing similar issues. Your contribution is highly appreciated. 

If you have any updates, feel free to share them with us here. 

Best Regards,

Herb 

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 4:31 AM