Can't access file server via old name in DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We migrated to a new file server from Windows 2000, and we have legacy scripts that still connect to the old server. We added a CNAME to DNS to the new server with the old name and from Windows 7 machines, it works fine, but from XP machines, we get a Duplicate Name on the Network error. I have flushed DNS, deleted the old server out of AD, Tombstoned all the old records in WINS, and still the same error. How do I fix this?

Lucas Williams
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Lucas,

Thanks for posting here.

Could you be more specific on the error prompt about duplicate Name on the Network ? and would all XP computers been effected by this error ? how did these XP clients obtain network settings ? static or DHCP ?

Please make sure the CNAME record could be resolved form XP clients with current network settings by using “nslookup” command.Personally I think set A record with old name is not a problem except if we still want to name another server with same host name.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:29 AM