Maximum Number of Activities in a Service Request RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have a spreadsheet of details for over 600 activities that need to be added to one request. I have a runbook that can parse the data and create the MAs and relate them to the Service Request.

My real question is could adding that many MAs to a Service Request cause any sort of performance issues? Or is it even possible? Will SCSM limit how many I can add?

If anyone has tried this before, the input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 4:49 PM

Answers

• I can confidently say that anything with 600 steps needing to be assigned and completed could fit all in one Service Request.  SCSM Entity Explorer can verify that for you relationship wise, I have also looked at the main ServiceManager Database directly when making many of my SCSM programs.  

I think this should be considered a project instead, and should be using a release record.

Trying to open that ticket will definitely be slower due to all the relationships and activities, so maybe the SCSM Console might not be able to handle it due to how poorly optimized the SCSM Console is.

• Marked as answer by Gary Winhoven Wednesday, March 6, 2019 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 1:35 PM

All replies

• I can confidently say that anything with 600 steps needing to be assigned and completed could fit all in one Service Request.  SCSM Entity Explorer can verify that for you relationship wise, I have also looked at the main ServiceManager Database directly when making many of my SCSM programs.  

I think this should be considered a project instead, and should be using a release record.

Trying to open that ticket will definitely be slower due to all the relationships and activities, so maybe the SCSM Console might not be able to handle it due to how poorly optimized the SCSM Console is.

• Marked as answer by Gary Winhoven Wednesday, March 6, 2019 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 1:35 PM
  • I was able to place all of the MAs under a PA in the Service Request. It looks like all of them got in there like they should.

The console was impossibly slow when having both the Service Request and one of the MAs open. I would suggest searching for one of the MAs and opening that in the search results if it needs to be adjusted.

We are currently using the Cireson portal, so I can not speak for the OOB portal, but trying to open the Service Request/MA in the portal was impossible. The page would freeze trying to pull all of that information.

For the most part, our analysts received their notifications with details from the MA telling them what to do and then once they completed their task, they replied to the email so they wouldn't have to deal with the console or portal.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 3:33 PM
  • I am working with SCSM since the beginning with various customers. But I haven't seen the requirement of > 100 Actvities related to one Work Item (Change Request, Service Request or Release Record) so far ;-)

itnetX offers a Self-Service Portal solutions which contains a new type of Activities -> Checklist Activities. This offers the opportunity to add different smaller tasks to one Checklist activities. But even with this I've never seen a requirement of so many different tasks/activities before ;-)

I am really interested what kind of IT management process requires 600 individual activities.

Andreas Baumgarten

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 7:00 PM