none
Microsoft Edge Autofill Remembers Credit Card # RRS feed

• Question

• I haven't had time to do any testing to see whether this is an issue with other browsers, but it definitely doesn't feel right that Edge should autofill credit card numbers. I realize that this might be expected behaviour since it's just another string, but with MS' experience in dealing with data loss prevention is it unreasonable to expect that a new browser wouldn't remember sensitive data? Any thoughts on this?
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 11:16 PM

All replies

• Hi ErickSodhi,

The main issue is that the Microsoft Edge will remember the credit card numbers, right?

Please try the following steps, then Microsoft Edge shouldn`t remember the credit card numbers any more.
    1.Microsoft Edge\Settings\Clear browsing data\Clear browsing data\check the Form data and Passwords checkboxes
    2.Settings\View advanced settings\Privacy and Services\Untick the option "Offer to save passwords" and "Save form entries", clear the saved passwords by choosing "Manage my saved passwords"

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 27, 2017 1:48 AM
  • While your solution addresses the issue by configuring Edge to not remember any autofill information, it completely misses the point of the question. Autofill should never remember credit card numbers, or at least ask the user if the number should be remembered. Turning autofill and password saving off is a brute force solution and takes away the convenience of autofill in its entirety.
    Friday, January 27, 2017 7:40 AM
  • Hi ErickSodhi,

Have you tried to check the symptom with Internet Explorer 11?

This issue is related to the Autofill feature. There should be an option to choose whether the password will be saved. We could untick that option if you don`t want to autofill the credential. Of course, we should clear the saved credential firstly.

Due to the limited working environment, it is not available for me to test this. I would appreciate it very much if you would update the test result here.

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 3, 2017 10:40 AM
  • Please re-read my problem statement. There's no reference to passwords or credentials. I'm talking about credit card numbers.
    Friday, February 3, 2017 11:43 AM
  • Hi ErickSodhi,

I would make an apology for misunderstanding the issue. The main issue is that Microsoft Edge will remember the "credit card numbers" but not the username and the password, right? Have you checked the symptom with Internet Explorer 11?

If we enabled the "Save forum entries" option, it will be autocompleted.

Here is a link for reference of that feature. This theory should be applied to Microsoft Edge, too. We could disable that option and clear the history then check the symptom again.

"AutoComplete saves you time by remembering passwords and other info you enter into forms online. Since this info is securely stored on whatever PC you're using at the time, you should be careful about using AutoComplete on public or shared computers. When you're using a public or shared PC, make sure AutoComplete is turned off. You can also remove AutoComplete history from that PC if you accidentally enter info that you don't want to share—like the billing address for a credit card."
    Remember passwords and fill out web forms for Internet Explorer 11
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17499/windows-internet-explorer-11-remember-passwords-fill-out-web-forms

Best regards

Monday, February 6, 2017 6:17 AM