none
DPM won't automatically resume the backup schedule if it fails. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SQL server and I use DPM 2012 R2 to synchronize hourly and do an Express Full backup at 4AM Sundays. The DPM agent and server are version 4.2.1553.0

1 Database will fail the 1AM hourly every day.
    Other databases in the same protection group and same SQL server have no problems.

My problem: When that 1AM job fails, it stops the backups for that 1 database and it does not try again every hour. I must resume backups manually, but when 1AM comes around again, it stops again.

Most everything else I backup, if it fails once, it will retry at the next scheduled sync or full backup. I expect this database to behave the same way.

Thanks for your help

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 12:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Q1) Can the DB admins backup this database another way that won't upset DPM?

A1) Yes, they can perform a copy-only backup that won't affect log truncation.  They should keep the DB in full recovery mode, then just perform a copy-only backup.  

Copy-Only Backups (SQL Server)

Q2) So DPM should be truncating logs when it runs hourly.

A2) Yes, DPM scheduled incremental backups will cause the SQL log file to get truncated after each backup completes. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 3, 2017 11:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

By Default, DPM will not perform an auto-retry if the next scheduled job is less than 4 hours away. This allows the next scheduled job to fix the issue and continue protection.  There are two things to investigate.

1) Why is the 1:00AM job failing every night ?  Do you have some kind of SQL maintenance job for that DB that is interfering with backup ?

2) The next hours scheduled backup should try to run, what are the details of that job ?

For issue 1 - you can set the backup offset in the protection group to start 15 minutes later to avoid collision with 1:00AM.

Click on the optimize performance for the protection group, the adjust the synchronization start time to 15 minutes.  You can increase that if the job still fails due to other SQL activity if that is the cause of the failure.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:52 PM
  • Thank you for your thoughtful response Mike. I really appreciate it.

1) The DB admin swears nothing runs at that time. I will look into it further but that was my first thought too.

2) I made the adjustments last night to offset the job by 15 minutes and it still failed at 1:15am. The error message for the initial sync job failure is

Execution of SQL command failed for  SQL\Database on DBserver1 with
    reason : BACKUP LOG is terminating abnormally.
    BACKUP LOG cannot be performed because there is no
    current database backup.
    all subsequent SQL sync jobs fail with this separate message (until I manually resume backups) :
    Description: DPM tried to do a SQL log backup, either as part of a backup job or a recovery to latest point in time job. The SQL log backup job has detected a discontinuity in the SQL log chain for  SQL Server 2012 database database SQL\DB since the last backup. All incremental backup jobs will fail until an express full backup runs. (ID 30140 Details: Internal error code: 0x80990D11)
    Friday, March 31, 2017 10:33 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the details, it sure seems like some other backup is truncating the SQL log for that database.  If you cannot find the source for the log truncation a workaround would be to schedule another express full backup to run at 1:00AM - that should fix the error and allow new incremental backups to run.  It may be that you need to isolate that DB in it's own protection group if the additional 1:00AM express full is not desirable to you. 

Monday, April 3, 2017 4:21 PM
  • Thanks again for the very insightful reply! Staggering the DPM SQL backup to 45 minutes didn't help either.

Good news though - I dug into the SQL server myself and YES they had a backup job running on that database at that 1AM slot. This is their current backup job:

ALTER DATABASE Database  SET RECOVERY SIMPLE
    DBCC SHRINKFILE (Database_Log)
    ALTER DATABASE Database SET RECOVERY FULL

Is there a way to have these 2 backups coexist and both succeed? I could change the DPM backups to avoid those hours but I'd like to have both.

For now I have changed DPM to add an express full at 1am as you suggested.

Monday, April 3, 2017 8:09 PM
  • Hi,

The commands below are not really a backup, all that does is truncate the log file for that database and was probably put in place to reduce the log file size because there was no backup in place to truncate the logs.

ALTER DATABASE Database  SET RECOVERY SIMPLE
    DBCC SHRINKFILE (Database_Log)
    ALTER DATABASE Database SET RECOVERY FULL

DPM incremental backups will result in the log to get truncated which in your case is every hour, so you should no longer have a need to run the sql commands externally.

Monday, April 3, 2017 9:34 PM
  • There's a second step in the job right after that actually does the backup, I linked it below. I didn't post it because the logs seemed more relevant to the DPM error messages. Sorry about the confusion

BACKUP DATABASE Database TO Database_data_dump WITH INIT
    So DPM should be truncating logs when it runs hourly. Can the DB admins backup this database another way that won't upset DPM?
    Monday, April 3, 2017 9:49 PM
  • Hi,

Q1) Can the DB admins backup this database another way that won't upset DPM?

A1) Yes, they can perform a copy-only backup that won't affect log truncation.  They should keep the DB in full recovery mode, then just perform a copy-only backup.  

Copy-Only Backups (SQL Server)

Q2) So DPM should be truncating logs when it runs hourly.

A2) Yes, DPM scheduled incremental backups will cause the SQL log file to get truncated after each backup completes. 

Monday, April 3, 2017 11:45 PM
  • Thanks a million. I will test those "WITH COPY_ONLY" tsql commands tonight. I have a feeling they're exactly what I needed.

Will update tomorrow with upvotes

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 12:15 AM
  • It worked perfectly! I checked this morning and neither the DPM nor the SQL job failed. The hourly sync jobs have all succeeded.

I will train my DB admin on these differences in backup method and we will review all our SQL backups together.

Thanks a ton for your expertise!! I'm sad I have but one upvote to give :)

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 5:56 PM