KVM switching Win7 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a single monitor, keyboard, and mouse connected to two Win7 machines with a Linkskey KVM switch.  This worked without problem until I upgraded to Win7.  Now each time I switch machines all the windows are moved around.  I have the most recent Nvidia drivers.  Do I have to return to XP to get rid of this annoyance. 
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 12:44 PM

All replies

• I assume that by Windows you mean Desktop Icons...  You need to disable the monitor detection in your video driver.  Every time you switch away from a PC it loses its resolution settings and when you switch back it re-detects the screen and rearranges everything.  XP did exactly the same thing, depending on the video chipset and driver used.
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 2:56 PM
  • No I am not talking about the icons they always stay in place.  As I said the open program windows are moved.  I have a dual boot machine with XP and Win7 and I checked and XP does not do this. It is a Win7 only phenomenon. 
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 5:09 PM
  • I recommend you read this published article: Display Guildelines for KVM Switches in Windows 7

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:32 AM