Windows 7 - Internet Explorer 9 - View Source option not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to write a site in PHP with JavaScript and I'm using my Internet Explorer 9 to work the issues out and test my code.  During this process I need to often look at the 'View Source' to confirm what the PHP wrote out from my web server but I'm finding that IE9 doesn't seem to want to provide that source info.

I right-click on the page (fully formed with no PHP errors showing) and select 'View Source' which is not greyed out and nothing happens.

I have been able to reproduce this on my Windows 7 Starter netbook and on my Windows 7 Ultimate desktop both with IE9 and up to date with all Windows Updates.

My AV is Microsoft Security Essentials and the other other running app at the time showing on the desktop is WinSCP (for access to my source code).

Please help,

Friday, September 2, 2011 8:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge, Internet Explorer call Notepad.exe to display the source code when you click “view source” before IE 7. But from IE 8, Internet Explorer use its own component to display the source. Please try following steps to fix the problem:

1.       Open Internet Explorer, press F12, then open File menu.

2.       Select Customize Internet Explorer View Source. Here you can select the familiar Default Viewer, Notepad, or Other (which allows you to specify a different program, such as a third-party Web editor). Check which application you using to show the code.

3.       Chose “Notepad”, then try to use “view source” to show the code again. Check whether it can be show via Notepad.

4.       If Notepad works fine, try to use “sfc /scannow” to check the system file.

I do some research for “Default viewer” on my side, and I think IE call iedvtool.dll to show the code. Please check whether this file is exist.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Friday, September 23, 2011 9:31 AM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hi, what if you press F12? Does that display the Dev Tools?
    Don
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 12:30 AM
  • Hi,

If I hit F12 and open the Dev Tools, that works fine even when the View Source doesn't.

Regards,

Itamar Croitoru, CPSA, MCP
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 4:58 AM
  • i got a few (very old) search hits, suggesting this can occur when the browser cache is "full".
    I'm a little sceptical, but why not try clearing your browser cache and see?

Don
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 8:51 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, Internet Explorer call Notepad.exe to display the source code when you click “view source” before IE 7. But from IE 8, Internet Explorer use its own component to display the source. Please try following steps to fix the problem:

1.       Open Internet Explorer, press F12, then open File menu.

2.       Select Customize Internet Explorer View Source. Here you can select the familiar Default Viewer, Notepad, or Other (which allows you to specify a different program, such as a third-party Web editor). Check which application you using to show the code.

3.       Chose “Notepad”, then try to use “view source” to show the code again. Check whether it can be show via Notepad.

4.       If Notepad works fine, try to use “sfc /scannow” to check the system file.

I do some research for “Default viewer” on my side, and I think IE call iedvtool.dll to show the code. Please check whether this file is exist.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Friday, September 23, 2011 9:31 AM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 10:04 AM
  • And when devloper tools for IE 9 is not installed and can not be installed due to being an Active Directory Client and Group Policy is in effect.

And yes I have admin rights on the computer in qustion, not in AD though.

Then what?

Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:26 PM
  • thank you!

worked immediately.  perhaps a neglected was-supposed-to-be-returned to the way it was SUPPOSED to work, 'fix' , after a patch/updated V,..  'improovement'

*shrugs*

seems like something ORIGINALLY meant to remain reliable (using notepad) , but yet another 'knowing-better' genius, 'knew'  better than!

!#(%&*^!(*%&!#%(*

----------------

maybe not... maybe just someone with a deadline, forgetting to return a dev. pre-release V back when they ran out of time...

i spent 40m trying to find a 3rd party source viewer, my search engine coming up with all kinds of concerned-about-interest  colours of the  exposure-interest method rainbow of search results...

INgenuinely, thanks for that, whoever 'knew' better, than whether or not notepad's fine...

---------------

GENuinely, thanks Itamar!

• Edited by rwelsh1653 Friday, August 24, 2018 4:56 AM
    Friday, August 24, 2018 4:53 AM