none
Displaying IDs in MS Project Compare Projects RRS feed

• Question

• In MS Project 2013, there's a Compare Projects option under the Project menu. It does a good job of showing schedule differences. One option that I can't see is the ability to show the current ID and the previous ID. All other columns shown appear to be there. Anyone knows how to show them?

Thanks,

Bassam

Monday, December 1, 2014 4:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When you execute the comparison process, some custom fields, tables and views are created for the comparison report. Just go to the tables in question and remove the columns you do not need.

Note that those items are recreated each time you execute the comparison. Thus you cannot customize the comparison feature itself, you have to redo it every time you use the feature.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, December 1, 2014 4:30 PM
  • Bassam Abdul-Baki,

If you want to see the differences in the ID field, add that field (again) to each of the two versions of the file. Apparently because the ID field is normally the first column and it is locked, it will not show up in the comparison file so by adding it again (i.e. there will be two ID fields in each file), it will appear in the comparison file.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, December 1, 2014 4:47 PM
  • Bassam --

I suspect the reason that Microsoft does not include the ID field for comparison purposes is because the ID number of both tasks and resources is totally irrelevant.  Every time you insert new tasks in between existing tasks, all of the ID numbers for the following tasks are renumbered.  So, what would be the point of comparing ID numbers in a comparison report?  The ID number that actually means something is the Unique ID number, but there would be no point in comparing that value since the Unique ID number never changes.  So, in the end, I think you are out of luck on adding the ID number field to your comparison reports.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, December 1, 2014 7:07 PM
  • John,

I actually tried doing that and it just won't appear in the comparison file. Very vexing. Does it work for you?

Thanks,

Bassam

Monday, December 1, 2014 7:20 PM
  • Dale,

I agree it changes for new tasks. However, I'm not a scheduler and only need to find out what changed and why. I would like the original ID number displayed so that I can use that when comparing the predecessors and successors columns (and all other columns as well).

Thanks,

Bassam

Monday, December 1, 2014 7:23 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Not interested in removing columns, just adding them.

Thanks,

Bassam

Monday, December 1, 2014 7:24 PM
  • Hi Bassam,

Sorry I misunderstood your question.

You could actually add the "Unique ID" field in your 2 schedules just before running the comparison so it'll be included in the comparison. The unique ID stays unique evenif the tasks are moved or removed. Another way would be to use the task GUID: it is more intended to be used for custom code but it could help.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, December 1, 2014 7:48 PM
  • Bassam,

Yes, it does work for me. I tried it before I posted. But. . . I am using Project 2010, not Project 2013, so it might have changed. Nonetheless, here is a screenshot of the comparison file in my test. The upper pane shows the two ID fields (current and previous) and the lower two panes show that I have added the ID field as another column in addition to the ID field in column 1.

I do agree with Dale though. The ID field doesn't tell you much and can in fact be misleading because IDs are re-numbered when any tasks are moved, added or deleted. The more relevant field is the Unique ID. That is the field that stays constant and in fact is the reference whereby the comparison is made.

John

Monday, December 1, 2014 8:50 PM
  • Bassam,

Why not use the Unique ID Predecessors and Unique ID Successors fields instead of the normal Predecessor and Successor fields? Then you don't have to worry about the ID field.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, December 1, 2014 8:55 PM