none
IE11 Default Paper Size When Printing To Other Than Windows Default. RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 printers on my PC. 1 is a receipt printer with 58mm wide paper. The other is an HP1410 with letter size paper. The receipt printer is set as the default printer since it is used most. But sometimes I need to do a print of the web page used for the Point Of Sale. When I select the HP printer for the output, the page is printed but only 58mm wide instead of letter size. Likewise if I set the HP1310 as the default printer, then when I select the receipt printer as the output, it tries to print letter size. IE does not appear to change the paper size when a printer other than the default is selected. It ALWAYS uses the paper size of the default printer irregardless of the printer selected for output.

Note that Chrome works correctly and will adjust the page size to the default for whichever printer is selected but IE will not

Also note that NotePad has the same issue.I haven't tested with edge but then it won't support Activex either.

I am limited to using IE because the credit card scanner used with the receipt printer requires Activex support. My only workaround now is to switch to using Chrome whenever I need to print to any printer other than the Windows default printer. There was a similar old issue "IE7 Default Paper Size" that never really had a resolution. It reported a similar issue between printers with Letter and A4 paper sizes. Any help would be appreciated.

"There is always a way to do it better... find it!"

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

IE has it's own page settings, you can click the arrow next to the Print button, and then click Page Setup to change.
    More details about FAQ or Printing webpages, for your reference: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/printing-webpages-faq#1TC=windows-7

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 5:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

IE has it's own page settings, you can click the arrow next to the Print button, and then click Page Setup to change.
    More details about FAQ or Printing webpages, for your reference: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/printing-webpages-faq#1TC=windows-7

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

Poor response.

The problem is when you click on the Page Setup, it only shows page sizes for the label/receipt printer in the drop down, for example '2x4', '4x4', '4x6', and 'USER'.  There are no page sizes available other than whatever the default printer handles.  The only way to get 'normal' page sizes to show up is to set the Windows default printer to a 'normal' printer. 

Thursday, October 8, 2015 7:53 PM
  • I think I may have found your solution. I was having the same issue and it worked for me.

Start > Devices and Printers

Right click on the printer and click Printer Properties

Click on the Printer Settings tab

At the bottom under Override Application Default Settings, check the Always use drivers settings box and click OK.

Monday, October 19, 2015 4:06 AM