none
Linux server shows Online\ServerName while the others are Offline\ServerName, Backups fail/error out on server RRS feed

• General discussion

• Background Info:

DPM Info:
    DPM 2012 R2 Ver: 4.2.1373.0

Linux Info:

Server is hosted on Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V Failover Cluster
    OS Version: Ubuntu Version: 14.04.3
    2GB RAM
    CPU: 1 AMD 6386 SE 2.7GHz

Issue:

I am trying to back up several Linux/Unix servers that are all hosted on Hyper-V FA hosts and 1 server constantly fails to be backed up. All the Linux/Unix VMs are the same OS versions so I am confused they are all listed as Offline\ServerName except for the 1 that is giving me issues. It is labeled as Online\ServerName. If I shutdown the server completely then run a consistency check/recovery point it works as designed. Once the server is turned back on DPM cannot backup the server.

We didn't have LIS tools installed, then we tried with LIS Tools installed. Same issue, no change.

When DPM starts its consistency check the CPU load keeps growing to the point the server becomes unstable. The only way to resolve the CPU load issue is to restart the machine.

• Changed type Blacksuit1 Wednesday, March 30, 2016 4:14 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2016 10:46 PM

All replies

• Anyone seen this issue before or send me in a direction?
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 3:21 PM
  • The Linux team is rebuilding this server so hopefully after it is complete it will magically be fixed.

Consider this issue closed.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 4:14 PM
  • Hi,

Are you able to perform a manual checkpoint/snapshot of the Linux VM via the VMM-console or Hyper-V Manager console?

If so, go into the properties of the virtual machine via Hyper-V Manager console and under Management --> Integration Services, make sure that the checkbox for "Backup (volume checkpoint)" is cleared.

If the checkbox was checked, stop the protection of the VM in DPM, then re-add it to the protection group and try to perform the backup-jobb again.

In case the backup of the VM would continue to fail. Please look into the Application and System log in Event Viewer of the Hyper-V host that the VM curretnly resides on and see if you can find any further information there.

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Thursday, March 31, 2016 5:47 AM
  • Markus,

Sorry, I didn't see this reply. However I wasn't able to test your solution because they tore the server down already. Either way I greatly appreciate your reply.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:32 PM