Vista hangs when using 2 external hard drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a dell xps laptop m1530 with vista sp2.
    I have two external hard drives. My laptop hangs when I copy files
    from one external hard drive to the other.
    They both have their own power supply and Im not using a usb hub.

When I copy files I see that the progressbar freezes. If I try to close that window, Im doomed.
    I always end up looking at my wallpaper, no icons, no start menu, ctrl-alt-delete doesnt work.

Both these hard drives seems to work fine when I connect them one by one, it only hangs when
    I copy file from one to the other.
    This does not happen on my XP machine.

I have done a couple of things to try to solve this.

- Reinstalled Vista (SP2 + WU)
    - Tried different combinations. One hard drive on left usb port and the other to the right, and vice versa.
    - Turned emulation off in BIOS
    - Tried another usb cable.
    - WD Diagnostic tool reports no error on either drive (SMART and extended test)
    - Dell Diagnostic tool reports no error on my laptop
    - Reinstalled chipset driver
    - Clean boot: Unchecked all non-microsoft (kb/929135)
    - SFC / Scannow - No errors
    - Safe mode - Tried copy files in safe mode last night and it did NOT hang

I have an old computer (8-10 years) where I have clearly seen that there is nothing wrong with
    this external drive. It has worked many times, and never hung up.

Since it seemed ok in safe mode, this has to be a vista issue?
    Please advice...

Many thanks

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 6:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you open Task Manager and check which process consume the highest CPU usage?

Meanwhile, you can use the performance monitor to diagnose.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, September 3, 2010 9:55 AM
  • Hi Magon

Thank you for helping med out.

Unfortunately I can´t try this now. I would be very glad if you could check this thread within 30 hours.

By then I hope I have som useful information.

br

Saturday, September 4, 2010 11:01 AM
  • Hi again

Task manager shows nothing of interest. CPU usage seems normal.

I have made a report with this performance tool. There is a lot of information.

Do you know where to look?

Br, Lennart

Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Hi Br,

I was wondering if this issue occurs right after reinstalling Windows Vista before installing all the device driver?

As you have reinstalled Vista, it might not due to the operation system but conflict with certain device software.

you can try it in Device Clean Boot to narrow down on the hardware side:

Device Clean Boot

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

What is the result?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, September 6, 2010 3:38 AM
  • Hi again

Sorry if I was unclear. I had this problem before reinstalling vista. So, reinstalling vista made no changes.

I will try the Device clean boot and let you know the result.

Can you please tell me how this performance tool is supposed to help?

Thanks

Monday, September 6, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Hi again

I disabled the sound card and the ethernet controller and copying files went ok.

I then enabled both and tried again. This too went fine.

I will try again tomorrow to see if it hangs.

Do you have an idea why this happens?

Thanks

Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Hi,

It could occur due to conflict between device drivers, like IRQ conflict.

Please pay attention to the Universal Serial Bus controllers, if it turns out to be the culprit, you can try to reinstall USB controllers using the following steps.

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".
    Regards,

Friday, September 10, 2010 8:36 AM
  • Hi

I tried again today, without disabling sound card and ethernet controller. It immediately hung.

I followed your latest tip with the USB controllers, and once again it worked the first time.

I will try a couple days to see what happens.

Thanks

Saturday, September 11, 2010 9:43 AM
  • Hi again

Today I tried again. It hung instantly. So, this usb trick didn´t help.

I restarted and disabled the sound card, it hung again.

Restarted again and disabled ethernet controller, and this time it went ok.

I now feel it almost happens at random. But mostly it hangs.

If the ethernet controller is the culprit, how do I proceed? If it is IRQ conflict, is there an easier way to narrow it down? (I mean, if its not the ethernet controller )

Otherwise, there will be a lot of combinations to try and a lot of restarts the "hard" way.

Thank you....

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:58 PM
  • If Ethernet controller is the culprit, visit the manufacture's website and find the latest driver.

If this issue did happens randomlly, I would suspect the USB volt is not sufficient. If you have multiple USB port, try those that is in the back of the PC, these ports don't need extended cable inside.

To check if it is IRQ conflict, please open Device Manager, From the toolbar, the View tab, select Resources by type, right click on the related PCI USB host controler, propertise, under the Resource tab, check if it says "no conflict" or others. To resolve conflicts with PCI or ISA cards, try manually setting them in your motherboard's BIOS, or try a different slot for the newly installed device.

Regards,

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:21 AM
  • Hi again

I reinstalled the ethernet controller. Stills hangs. I cant find any IRQ conflict.

It´s a laptop with 2 usb ports on the left side and 1 to the right. I have tried all combinations.

I have once again used them one by one and it doesnt hang, only when both are connected.

Do you know how to check the USB volts?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:04 AM
  • One more thing.

I might be way off now. But...

If I run
    fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo [drive letter]:\ on one of the external drive, I get
    "Transaction support within the specified file system resource manager is not started or was shutdown due to an error"

MS has a solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939615

Am I way off? Would you recommend me try this?

Thanks

Edit: This error does not show up on the C drive of my laptop. Just the external drive.
    I maybe, just maybe, formatted the drive in XP, when it was new. Maybe thats why I see this error (?)

Edit again: I haven´t found anything googling, but I get a feeling that this error might be related to that this drive is a truecrypt volume.
    Is so, it should be ignored.
    Truecrypt is not to be blamed for the freezing problem. I had the problem before I started using truecrypt.

I guess I need to contact someone who repairs computers and see if they have equipment to check the usb voltage.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:38 PM