none
MS Project Task Lists RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone created a task list template in Project?

What i am trying to do is export from my plan...

- Tasks not completed

- Tasks In Progress

- Tasks due next week

This needs to be done by individual Resource so i can share with them to get updates.

Thursday, March 1, 2018 4:02 PM

All replies

• MatchuC,

First of all what version of Project are you using? Is it fully updated?

How do you plan to "export" the data? You may be able to create a custom Visual Report (data to Excel), an export map (data to Excel), or a macro (data to any application that supports VBA), or even one of the built-in reports (e.g. Tasks in Progress) and save as PDF.

There are a lot of ways to get what you want, we just need a little more information to suggest the best approach.

John

Thursday, March 1, 2018 4:11 PM
  • Hi John,

Currently using MS Project 2013. I would assume its fully updated yes.

I would be happy to either have the task list generated in Excel or PDF aslong as i can separate them for each user. So only techy gets the techy tasks and the HR bod only get the HR tasks.

I have looked an the in built reports but at the moment been unable to pull the information i require.

Thursday, March 1, 2018 4:32 PM
  • MatchuC,

I wouldn't assume it is fully updated unless you have Windows Update set to automatic. For reference, Project 2013 should be at version 15.0.5007.1000 which you can verify under File > Help and click on "Additional version and copyright information" in the middle on the right side. That will bring up the About Project window. At the top are two version numbers, the first is the Project version, the second is the Office version.

I'm not a big fan of the built-in reports but you can create custom filters (e.g. Using Resource + tasks not complete) and apply that to the Tasks in Progress report. You can also customize the Resource Usage visual report or simply customize the Resource Usage view with filtering and/or grouping and copy and paste the tabular data (left side of screen) to Excel.

My preferred method is VBA. The big advantage of using a macro is that the data can be exported to Excel in a defined format such that a resource can update the spreadsheet which can then be exported back to Project for the update.

John

Thursday, March 1, 2018 5:27 PM
  • Morning John,

Just had a look at thats the version that i am on.

I will have to have a play around with the inbuilt reports as i have zero knowledge of VBA so wouldnt even know where/how to start.

The VBA route does sound the best one for the problem, but my limited knowledge would not help.

Friday, March 2, 2018 8:32 AM
  • VBA is one way to go but only after exhausting the more obvious possibilities. Have you run the built in filters?

Have you tried to make a custom filter, like one that filters for a resource and the dates? Have you tried a combination of filtering and grouping?

Reading what you want to do, I'd say that's what they're there for.

Friday, March 2, 2018 9:50 AM
  • MatchuC,

Filters or grouping will only really help if you want to customize the a built-in report and then save as PDF or make a hard copy to give to each resource.

If you want to go with an export map, a filter or grouping won't help. However if you don't mind doing some jockeying of sheets in Excel, you could produce a separate sheet for each resource. And depending on what updates you are expecting from the resources, you could potentially use an import map to bring that updated data back to Project.

Try those routes and if it's just too cumbersome, I can help you with a VBA approach.

John

Friday, March 2, 2018 2:12 PM