cannot get list schema column property from the sharepoint list RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting erro "cannot get list schema column property from the sharepoint list"  when I try to export to datasheet view. This happens in document library of a pratulcurt site collection. All the sub sites under this site collection gives same error. We have around 18 sub sites. I have checked and found many articles mentionig the issue for date and time or lookup field.

But I am getting this on even newly created document library with out of box coloumn. We are on SP 2 since one year and it use to work untill last week.

Anybody please help.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Sarah,

Do you mean this happen just in document library of a specific site collection, and it works well in other site collections, and other lists in the specific site collection?

If so, it seems an issue with the library template or the Document Content type that present the library exporting to spreadsheet. Please try to save template in other site collection and export to this site collection to check:
    1. Go to other site collections that export works well, open a document library, go to Settings->document library settings->save document library as template.
    2. Go to Site Actions->Site Settings->List templates, right click the new saved template, choose Save target as to save the template to local.
    3. Go to the specific site collections that cannot export the document, go to Site Actions->Site Settings->List templates, Upload the saved template to the list template library.
    4. Create a new document library based on the uploaded template, check whether the library can export to datasheet.

If it isn’t the issue, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Qiao

Friday, November 4, 2011 6:56 AM
  • Thanks Wei, I tried that 3 times and it works if I import the template to different site collection. The problem is specific to a site collection.

I followed this workaround http://www.ekhichdi.com/e/cannot-get-list-schema-column-property-from-the-SharePoint-list-406.html but we have more then 20K document libraries and list and cannot have this workaround on all of them. I am looking for some resolution that will resolve the issue on this cpmplete site collcetion.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:59 AM
  • Hi Sarah,

As it is related with the specific site collection, as a workaround, we can export all the lists and documents to a new site collection through programming, you may have a try, the code is as below:
    static void move() {

string path = @"C:\stpfile\";

using (SPSite siteCollection1 = new SPSite("http://servername/"))

{

using (SPWeb web1 = siteCollection1.RootWeb)

{

//SPList list = web1.Lists["List2"];

SPListCollection listCollection = web1.Lists;

foreach (SPList list in listCollection)

{

list.SaveAsTemplate(list.Title, list.Title, "", true);

string filePath = "/_catalogs/lt/" + list.Title + ".stp";

SPFile listTemplateFile = web1.GetFile(filePath);

byte[] response = listTemplateFile.OpenBinary();

string localpath = path + list.Title + ".stp";

using (Stream s = new FileStream(localpath, FileMode.OpenOrCreate, FileAccess.Write))

{

s.Write(response, 0, response.Length);

s.Flush();

}

using (SPSite siteCollection2 = new SPSite("http://servername/"))

{

using (SPWeb site2 = siteCollection2.OpenWeb())

{

FileStream fileStream = System.IO.File.OpenRead(localpath);

SPList list1 = site2.GetCatalog(SPListTemplateType.ListTemplateCatalog);

list1.RootFolder.Files.Add(site2.Url + filePath, fileStream, true);

string fileName = list.Title + "1";

site2.Lists.Add(fileName, "", siteCollection2.GetCustomListTemplates(site2)[list.Title]);

}

}

}

}

}

}

Thanks,
    Qiao

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:26 AM
  • The problem is with root site collection and we have 1500 sub sites in it. The size of the content database is 800 GB. This will not help. Is there any other resolution?
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Hi Sarah,

Are you using Excel 2003 or 2007 ? As mentioned in the following blog the error doesn't occur on Excel 2007. 

http://sympmarc.com/2008/09/02/cannot-get-the-list-schema-column-property-from-the-sharepoint-list-error-with-excel-2003/ 

If you are using office 2003 can you please upgrade it to 2007 and check ? 

Let us know if this helps. Thanks 

Thanks & Regards Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Edited by Zoeb S Wednesday, November 23, 2011 9:44 AM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 9:43 AM