none
Windows 10 Pro BSOD after Jan 2018 Updates Dell PCs Intel Processor / Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!  Over the past week I have had a nightmare scenario where multiple PCs, 6 so far, are getting BSOD apparently after Windows 10 Pro updates are installed.  I say apparently since I have been unable to recover any of these PCs, and so can't see what happened. 

The type of BSOD is dire as all attempts to restore system have failed such as booting into safe mode, repair startup issues, etc.  Unfortunately, I did not have System Restore enabled, so that was not an option.  I purchased Microsoft Tech Support through Action Pack and they also failed to recover one of the PCs after try for several hours.

So I will re-image the PCs.

First I wanted to post this in case others are having this issue and ideally have discovered a solution to keep this from happening with a "permanent" solution.  As the title explains, these recently purchased Dell Laptop and Desktop PCs, running Windows 10 Pro.  They have Intel Chips.  They are running Symantec Endpoint Protection SBE Cloud.  I have removed the Dell Updates / Support Tools.

Second, the steps I have taken to keep this from happening to other PCs is to disable all Microsoft Updates and remove Symantec.  None of those PCs have experienced an issue, but it has only been two or three days.  I can't keep that in place for very long, so I need a long term solution.

Third, I would appreciate thoughtful feedback on the following:

1) Should I be using System Restore?  Until this happened, I never bothered since most issue where hardware related and required a rebuild - failed hard drive being the primary issue.

2) I remove the Dell Update utilities to avoid confusing my end users and to have any driver updates come from Windows Update.  I wonder if my recent issue is being caused by a bad driver that the Dell Driver Update would solve?  Honestly I never have gotten a clear answer on whether I need to update drivers from Dell, HP, etc. since Windows 10 is supposed to alert the need to update those drivers.  I have been updating drivers from the manufacturer only when there is an issue and that has only been ASUS products.

3) Any suggestions on what else I should do in the future to avoid this type of issue.  Here I am talking about a Update Strategy in light on Windows 10 Update processes.  I am thinking I will set all PCs to delay updates for X number of days, thinking that if there are issues the will be resolved before the updates hit my customer's PCs.

Patricia Kachersky

Saturday, January 13, 2018 5:46 PM

All replies

• The best method that I am aware of to protect computers is to make a backup image.  Most people are unaware that this is free.  If you have a corrupt operating system, failure to boot, malware, etc. you can clean install and restore the image.

To evaluate the BSOD please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command:

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use one drive or drop box to place share links into the the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

It will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, drivers hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is 1 file for you to find manually:  memory dump file:

C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter each of the above to find results.

Sometimes the dxdiag files does not collect with the above command and if it doesn't in the computer environment please find in manually:  In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > open each page > allow several minutes for it to fully load > save to the desktop > post into the thread using a one drive or drop box share link.

Sunday, January 14, 2018 2:30 AM