slow startup and increased temp what could it be... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I got a bit of problem I can't seem to figure out how to fix it, now i bought a new Samsung spinpoint F1 750gb hard drive I installed the HDD into my system and drive do full format using manage under my computer, after about 10% it kept on crashing so I had to restart it manually (power button).

The type of crash was like it freezes for abot 20-30sec then moves again for 2sec then again freezes for 20-30 so on..

I also noticed that the cpu temp has increased between 2-5c

anyway after a bit or research I found out that the HDD had issue with my motherboards Chipset (Nvidia 680sli) after a bit more research i found that installing older drivers (nforce 15.01) makes the HDD drive work (thats how i managed to format it at the end) but again still was crashing when coping data to the drive.

now my problem is I have removed the drive completely but it had left my Vista loading up really slow (beginning screen with the little green bar) it takes like 3min to start compared to 30-40 sec before.

I have tried done error checking on all drives and defragmented the drives, defragmented registery, and also had a breif look at the boot up menu (don't know much about it).

It always get stuck when first starting on the green bar for about few minutes after that its running fine and well.

(I do not want to reformat my computer that will be my the last resort)

how good is the vista repair console? and will I have to reconfigure my Vista again.

actually the only thing that did help it was reinstalling the samsung drive back in to the PC again then it starts running normal (but I have returned the drive)

PS: please note I had three WD hard drives already installed see signature for details on system

I would really appreciate you help , this is doing my head in  . thanks guys

-T-

Enermax Uber Chakra Case + 250mm Side FAN
    Intel QX6700 Quadcore running at 2.66GHz
    IN9 32x MAX 1.4 bios Nvidia chipset 680 sli
    OCZ PC8500 SLI 2GB 1066mhz
    150GB WD Raptor 10K
    2x500GB WD SE16
    18x Sata DVD Writer
    BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
    Enermax Galaxy 1000w DXX PSU
    Zalman ultraquite 9500LED CPU Heatsink
    Noctua NF-S12 1200 RPM 12cm rear exhaust FAN
    Scythe Kama Meter temp/fan controller
    Thermaltake A2331 Media Lab Vfd Panel
    Coolermaster Musketeer 2 gauge
    24" Widescreen HP 1920x1200
    Monday, January 28, 2008 9:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Based on the symptoms, this issue may possibly caused by 3rd party drivers or disk filter applications or the disk failure on the hard disk drive. Please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot it:

1.  Go to BIOS and set the disk to ATA/IDE mode instead of SATA if the current disk is IDE interface.

2.  Upgrade your BIOS to latest version and load all settings to "Default Settings".

3. Run the command in System Recovery to do a disk checking(chkdsk from Vista Installation disc):

a. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

b. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

c. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 

d. Click Repair your computer. 

e. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 

f. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 

g. Type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER. 

4. If the issue persists after all the above steps, please go into Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs when booting up from Safe Mode.

-----------------------------------------

a. Reboot the computer.

b. When the Starting Windows screen shows, press F8.

c. Select Safe Mode and press Enter.

d. Log on as Administrator.

e. Does this issue occur in loading Safe Mode?

(NOTE: Safe Mode loads the minimum number of required basic device drivers and system services to start the system. Programs located in the Startup Program group are not started.  So this will be very helpful for us to narrow down the root cause.)

If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode and only occurs in Normal Mode, then we can try a "Clean Boot" to narrow down the cause and troubleshoot it next post.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Based on the symptoms, this issue may possibly caused by 3rd party drivers or disk filter applications or the disk failure on the hard disk drive. Please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot it:

1.  Go to BIOS and set the disk to ATA/IDE mode instead of SATA if the current disk is IDE interface.

2.  Upgrade your BIOS to latest version and load all settings to "Default Settings".

3. Run the command in System Recovery to do a disk checking(chkdsk from Vista Installation disc):

a. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

b. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

c. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 

d. Click Repair your computer. 

e. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 

f. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 

g. Type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER. 

4. If the issue persists after all the above steps, please go into Safe Mode (Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up) and check if the issue still occurs when booting up from Safe Mode.

-----------------------------------------

a. Reboot the computer.

b. When the Starting Windows screen shows, press F8.

c. Select Safe Mode and press Enter.

d. Log on as Administrator.

e. Does this issue occur in loading Safe Mode?

(NOTE: Safe Mode loads the minimum number of required basic device drivers and system services to start the system. Programs located in the Startup Program group are not started.  So this will be very helpful for us to narrow down the root cause.)

If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode and only occurs in Normal Mode, then we can try a "Clean Boot" to narrow down the cause and troubleshoot it next post.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:56 AM
  • Thanks, probelm sorted, I posted this on various forums but everyone was telling me stuff i already done, your a star.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 9:49 AM