do we need to install rms sdk on RMS server machine too ? RRS feed

• Question

• hi ,

i am trying to set up rms in  pre production env. my machine is win2k8 sp2 . I tried making changes to following registry 

Note  If you are using Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2008, set the registry values before installing the AD RMS service. If you are using Windows Server 2003, set the registry values after installing the service, but before provisioning.

If you are using AD RMS on Windows Server 2008, you must set the following REG_DWORD value. Change this value to 0 to switch to the production hierarchy.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DRMS\2.0\Hierarchy = 0x00000001

If you are using AD RMS on Windows Server 2008 and another AD RMS service is already deployed in Active Directory as a pre-production service, add the following empty string value to the registry.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DRMS\2.0\GICURL = ""

I don't understand the second point . On one hand in the note section microsoft says that we should make changes to registry before installing rms if the machine is win2k8. but if you read the second registry setting point it says "if AD service is already deployed in AD as a pre-production then make changes to GICURL. how can both go together???

if we have to make changes before installing AD rms then 100% the second point will never be true. isn't it??

FInally, do we need to install rms sdk before on RMS server machine too.?? i thought it is reqd only on client machine for rms development.

The problem is that even when i make changes to the above registry . and proceed to setup ad rms server at the end i see that Trust Hierarchy" is shown as production and not as "ISV" which should be for pre-production.

Please help

Thanks,

ALok

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:20 AM

Answers

• Alok,

The second point refers to "another" AD RMS service in pre-prod hierarchy deployed with an AD Service Connection Point ( SCP ). If you do not use SCPs ( or if you know this is the only server in pre-prod hierarchy ) then you do not have to worry about it. About the first registry setting , are you using Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 ? The registry setting is different for each. I am sure you have already checked this but just in case.

And no the SDK is not needed on the server.

• Marked as answer by alokemc Friday, August 12, 2011 6:06 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:47 PM

All replies

• Alok,

The second point refers to "another" AD RMS service in pre-prod hierarchy deployed with an AD Service Connection Point ( SCP ). If you do not use SCPs ( or if you know this is the only server in pre-prod hierarchy ) then you do not have to worry about it. About the first registry setting , are you using Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 ? The registry setting is different for each. I am sure you have already checked this but just in case.

And no the SDK is not needed on the server.

• Marked as answer by alokemc Friday, August 12, 2011 6:06 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:47 PM
  • Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for the information. I am using Scp and before installing AD rms server i have deleted the previous SCP (present in AD DS) . 

I don't know hwta was wrong but i tried setting up everything from scratch and this time i have succedded :). Yes i have win2k8 "NOT" win2k8 R2.

I made the following registry changes on the server machine 

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DRMS\2.0\Hierarchy = 0x00000001

And Ye sthe SDK is indeed not required on server machine . Should be installed Only on client . 

Thanks,

Alok

Friday, August 12, 2011 6:05 AM