none
Having a function access a DB when used to expand a table results in misleading/wrong information in the "access a MIcrosoft SQL Database" dialog" RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Simon,

What you're seeing at the bottom of the credential dialog is simply a progress indicator for evaluating the query that produced the prompt. If you're seeing that the dialog is waiting for a different server, it's likely that this server is being access during evaluation of that query.

From what you describe above, the table of connection string is likely hosted on SQL10\master. The direction of the slash is indeed different from what you would normally enter. However, this text is only there for presentation purposes and is of therefore no consequence except perhaps for confusion.

Is your scenario blocked in some way by the behavior you're observing?

Tristan

Monday, April 27, 2015 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Simon,

Can you give an elaborate description on the steps you took until you got that credentials prompt? The title says that happened during expansion of a table result? Does it mean you connected to Sql3 then tried to expand one of the tables before you got the credentials prompt?

Thanks, Hadeel

Friday, April 17, 2015 7:49 PM
  • I have a table of connection strings. Which I am passing to a function to go and get data from that connection.

I believe the issue is due to the way that connections are lazy loaded and how PQ then handles hitting an unknown connection, it goes through the list evaluating the function. It hits a new connection and bumps out requesting the credentials and permission to run the query. This results in the process starting from the top of the list.

What makes it worse is if one connection is invalid. note the slash in the instance name is the wrong way round.

Does that make sense

I guess a repo is to have a list of 3 connections with the middle one being invalid, have a function connect to the connection and evaluate something.

twitter - @simon_sabin blog - http://www.sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/simons SQLBits - Largest SQL Server Conference in Europe and its free

Sunday, April 26, 2015 7:48 PM
  • Hi Simon,

What you're seeing at the bottom of the credential dialog is simply a progress indicator for evaluating the query that produced the prompt. If you're seeing that the dialog is waiting for a different server, it's likely that this server is being access during evaluation of that query.

From what you describe above, the table of connection string is likely hosted on SQL10\master. The direction of the slash is indeed different from what you would normally enter. However, this text is only there for presentation purposes and is of therefore no consequence except perhaps for confusion.

Is your scenario blocked in some way by the behavior you're observing?

Tristan

Monday, April 27, 2015 4:57 PM
  • The scenario is not blocking, its just concerning when you get a security dialog presenting two different sets of connection details. Which is the client expected to enter?

My point about the slash is not the fact you append the database to the server, its that I had entered a server/instance as server\instance. This of course doesn't work.

It appears that the server in the bottom is the connection that failed but the server in the title of the dialog is the server that the query is now trying to connect to.

Bottom line its confusing and mis leading which I'd normally say isn't important but this is a security credential dialog.

twitter - @simon_sabin blog - http://www.sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/simons SQLBits - Largest SQL Server Conference in Europe and its free

Monday, April 27, 2015 6:22 PM