Window NT Backup on server 2003 and exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I use window NT backup and successfully backup database full on weekends and differential everyday

But my database does not reflect that   see below.

[PS] C:\>Get-exchangeserver | get-mailboxdatabase -status | select storagegroup,name,Lastfullbackup,LastDifferentialBack
    up

StorageGroup             Name                     LastFullBackup                            LastDifferentialBackup
    ------------ ---- -------------- ----------------------
    EXCHANGE\AAA           AAA                     1/31/2011 5:45:33 AM
    EXCHANGE\BBB           BBB                     1/31/2011 3:40:56 AM                 2/2/2011 12:56:33 AM (logfile from3/10/2010)
    EXCHANGE\CCC          CCC                      1/31/2011 4:54:32 AM                 2/2/2011 4:53:20 AM  logfile from /2010) 
    EXCHANGE\DDD         DDD                      1/31/2011 4:21:19 AM                 2/2/2011 3:11:33 AM   logfile from  /2010)
    EXCHANGE-External\tempSG1 EEE

Also my drive is filling up with lots of log file from logs from 2010

When i try to move logs i only see logs from 2 database  (AAA) and public

Any help appreciated i have asked this question before

sjumma
    Monday, July 11, 2011 5:19 PM

Answers

• How do you know the database is being backed up correctly by NTBACKUP?

I would suggest that you create a new job, that is set to backup JUST Exchange. DO ensure that you are on Exchange 2007 SP3.

I also wouldn't bother with diffs. Useless in my opinion. DO a full backup every day if you can.

After the backup has completed, go through the event viewer for a correct backup sequence. I have them listed here:

http://blog.sembee.co.uk/post/Successful-Exchange-2007-Backup-Log-Sequence.aspx

Another option would be to download a trial of something like Backup Assist, and run the backup job through that. Get a successful backup done and see if the logs flush then.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 11:49 PM

All replies

• How do you know the database is being backed up correctly by NTBACKUP?

I would suggest that you create a new job, that is set to backup JUST Exchange. DO ensure that you are on Exchange 2007 SP3.

I also wouldn't bother with diffs. Useless in my opinion. DO a full backup every day if you can.

After the backup has completed, go through the event viewer for a correct backup sequence. I have them listed here:

http://blog.sembee.co.uk/post/Successful-Exchange-2007-Backup-Log-Sequence.aspx

Another option would be to download a trial of something like Backup Assist, and run the backup job through that. Get a successful backup done and see if the logs flush then.

Simon.

Monday, July 11, 2011 11:49 PM
  • Hi,

The transition logs purge after a full backup. Try the steps below:

-- Dismounting the databases in storage group and make sure the databases are clean

shutdown.

-- Move the logs to some other place.

-- Mount the database back

-- Take full backup immediately.

Hope it is helpful.

Best regards,

Fiona Liao

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:27 AM
  • i Did not get those event id during full backup but got those 4 event id during differential

Server          StorageGroupName           Name                       Size (GB) Size (MB) No. Of Mbx
    ------          ----------------           ----                       --------- --------- ----------
    EXCHANGE                                                                          35.88      36742.14         49
    EXCHANGE                                                                          10.23  10474.39          7
    EXCHANGE                                                                          18.01  18446.89         13
    EXCHANGE                                                                           8.54    8740.52          3  

Can i just do full backup (using windows NT)  of each database (EDB FILE)  everynight till it purges the log files during the week ?

IF i have to do whole folder its becomes very big (180 gb) 

sjumma
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Databases should be backed up at the Storage Group level, because that is where the logs are stored. Therefore unless you have the databases in their own storage group, doing a backup in the method that you have outlined isn't going to achieve anything.

You need to do a single full backup of Exchange only. Get the logs down.

Simon.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:21 PM