Windows 7 Backup and Restore Permissions Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I just received a Dell Laptop with Windows 7 Enterprise and the company IT department set me up as a "Power User" but I don't have "Admin" privileges. I want to use the Windows 7 Backup and Restore utility but the IT dept. had trouble with the permissions. They went to Backup and Restore >> Properties >> Security >> Selected my name and edited the permissions to give me full control. It shows I have full control but when I try to use any feature in the program a pop-up asks for admin. login instead of my NT login. They are at a loss and we would appreciate any help.
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, Windows Backup only support backup by user with the administrator privilege.  

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:35 AM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

I'm wondering why Windows Backup doesn't use backup permissions that can be granted to users. If you check local security permissions (secpol.msc), there is that "Back up files and directories" permission that is granted by default to Administrators and Backup Operators groups.

Have you tested with Windows Backup when your account is added to Backup Operators group or that specific permission is directly granted to your account? It may be that Backup Operators group is really used only with Windows servers and it doesn't work with workstations.

regards, Niko

Friday, January 21, 2011 12:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, Windows Backup only support backup by user with the administrator privilege.  

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, January 21, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

I'm wondering why Windows Backup doesn't use backup permissions that can be granted to users. If you check local security permissions (secpol.msc), there is that "Back up files and directories" permission that is granted by default to Administrators and Backup Operators groups.

Have you tested with Windows Backup when your account is added to Backup Operators group or that specific permission is directly granted to your account? It may be that Backup Operators group is really used only with Windows servers and it doesn't work with workstations.

regards, Niko

Friday, January 21, 2011 12:03 PM