Windows XP SP3 did not update for DST 2012, won't accept manual time input RRS feed

• Question

• I have several hundred Windows XP machines in my environment, and so far have heard from one user that their time did not update for DST this past weekend. After hours of Googling and dead ends, I've given up and decided to post here. We are in the USA Central Time zone.

I have done research before posting......

• Windows updates are all up to date on the machine
    • The time zone is set correctly on the machine
    • Our domain controllers are all on the correct time and time zone

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Curtis

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:31 PM

Answers

• Hi there, thanks for your response. As a workaround until we get this fixed, I had to disable automatic DST adjustments and set the machine to Eastern time so it would set the correct time.

The machine in question does have KB 2633952 installed. I downloaded the TZEdit utility.. it appears that US Central Time is already configured with the correct DST start and end dates.

I used TZEdit to disable DST for Central Time Zone... rebooted.. and recreated the DST rules for Central Time Zone. The computer seems to be holding correct time now.

Will wait and see what happens when a standard user logs into it now.

Thanks much for the link;

Curtis

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:13 PM

All replies

• Do you have KB 2633952 (December 2011 cumulative time zone update) update installed?

If you do not have the update, you may download it from here.

To check if you have the update installed-

Press Windows key + R > type cmd and press Enter > in Command Prompt type 'systeminfo' (without quotes) and press Enter. Locate the hotfixes section from the output displayed by systeminfo. It will show a list of all updates installed. Check if you have KB2633952 in the list.

I did not receive this update via Windows Update on Windows XP, even in the Optional updates; but I received this update as a high-priority update in Windows Update Control Panel on Windows Vista.

You may also read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387 on "How to configure daylight saving time for Microsoft Windows operating systems".

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Hi there, thanks for your response. As a workaround until we get this fixed, I had to disable automatic DST adjustments and set the machine to Eastern time so it would set the correct time.

The machine in question does have KB 2633952 installed. I downloaded the TZEdit utility.. it appears that US Central Time is already configured with the correct DST start and end dates.

I used TZEdit to disable DST for Central Time Zone... rebooted.. and recreated the DST rules for Central Time Zone. The computer seems to be holding correct time now.

Will wait and see what happens when a standard user logs into it now.

Thanks much for the link;

Curtis

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:13 PM
  • hi

i have installed KB 2633952 and it solved issue at my end. maybe try reinstalling it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2633952

thanks

deepak

• Edited by deepak2888 Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:16 PM
    • Proposed as answer by geek9027 Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by geek9027 Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:36 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:10 PM
  • Thx much I will try that next if this fix doesn't hold.

After using TZEdit to delete and recreate the Central Time Zone from scratch it seems to be holding the correct time now.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:10 PM