none
How to update Task from Project Site into Project server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have installed & Configured Project Server 2010. It is working fine.

I have created a project into PS2010. I have created Issues, Risks and Tasks in Project Site.

Issues and Risks are updating automatically into Project server 2010, But Tasks are not updating automatically in project server 2010 from project site.

Why ?

How can I start updating task into project server 2010 from project site?

G. Goyal
    Monday, September 13, 2010 10:01 AM

Answers

• Hi G Goyal,

Tasks in the SharePoint Project Site are not related to tasks in the project plan. Hence, they will not be updated or synchronized.

It is possible to create some tasks in the SharePoint Task list and create a new project using the tasks from this lst. The project will be prepopulated with the tasks from the task list. But that is as far as it goes. Once the project is created, there is no relationship between your project and the task list on the site.

Your project and the tasks of the project are the real project schedule, capturing all the work that needs to be done and the resources that will execute all the tasks.
    You can think of the task list on the Project Site as a small to-do list, capturing actions which need to be done by the project team, but which will not (unless you add them manually to the project) be tracked in the project.

If you want synchronization between your project and the Task List on the Project Site, that's something you need to develop yourself using the PSI.

Keep in mind, that when you create and publish a project, the entire project and all of it's tasks can be viewed in the Project Center in Project Web App. Maybe this is what you are looking for?

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Monday, September 13, 2010 10:17 AM

All replies

• Hi G Goyal,

Tasks in the SharePoint Project Site are not related to tasks in the project plan. Hence, they will not be updated or synchronized.

It is possible to create some tasks in the SharePoint Task list and create a new project using the tasks from this lst. The project will be prepopulated with the tasks from the task list. But that is as far as it goes. Once the project is created, there is no relationship between your project and the task list on the site.

Your project and the tasks of the project are the real project schedule, capturing all the work that needs to be done and the resources that will execute all the tasks.
    You can think of the task list on the Project Site as a small to-do list, capturing actions which need to be done by the project team, but which will not (unless you add them manually to the project) be tracked in the project.

If you want synchronization between your project and the Task List on the Project Site, that's something you need to develop yourself using the PSI.

Keep in mind, that when you create and publish a project, the entire project and all of it's tasks can be viewed in the Project Center in Project Web App. Maybe this is what you are looking for?

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Monday, September 13, 2010 10:17 AM
  • HI Goyle,

So I understand the limitations of tasks and I have added a calendar to my default sites for my projects, but what I would like is to have the project tasks synch to the calendar so the project team can connect and synch to the outlook.  The calendars in Project Pro are ok, but not as useful as seeing the items on a calendar and if in outlook the reminders hit.  So I create this manually now and it is a pain.  How can this be programmed or accomplished so when I publish the latest plan it updates the sharepoint calendar on the project site, which in turn updates the outlook connected calendars. 

So the end users will see sync'd tasks in outlook, but also the calendar which they can overlay on other calendars for planning and get the calendar birds eye view as well as the reminders.

Thanks

Gene

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:57 PM