none
DPM 2012 SP1 - Is there a way to find out which DPM server an agent is currently backup up to RRS feed

• Question

• DPM 2012 SP1 - Is there a way to find out which DPM server an agent is currently backup up to?

I know there are commands that can force an agent to point to a new DPM server. We have multiple 2012 DPM servers and its very hard to keep track of which agents are going to which DPM servers without just jumping into each DPM server and combing through the agents.

Monday, April 15, 2013 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I guess you are wanting to do this on the protected server / client, if so just open an administrative command prompt, then run:

C:\>Type "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\ActiveOwner\*.

The beginning of the first line returned will be the FQDN in Unicode of the DPM Server owning the agent on the protected server / client.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 15, 2013 10:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I guess you are wanting to do this on the protected server / client, if so just open an administrative command prompt, then run:

C:\>Type "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\ActiveOwner\*.

The beginning of the first line returned will be the FQDN in Unicode of the DPM Server owning the agent on the protected server / client.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 15, 2013 10:59 PM
  • DPM 2012 SP1 - Is there a way to find out which DPM server an agent is currently backup up to?

I know there are commands that can force an agent to point to a new DPM server. We have multiple 2012 DPM servers and its very hard to keep track of which agents are going to which DPM servers without just jumping into each DPM server and combing through the agents.

I would recommend you look at deploying SCOM (If you don't already have it) and deploying the DPM central console because you have multiple DPM servers. Using the central console in SCOM will make tasks like this easier. For example within SCOM from the Protected Servers State View you can see all your protected servers and what DPM server they belong to. See this screenshot for an example:

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:44 AM