none
Cannot set up Outlook2010 on a new laptop running Windows 10

Question

• Every time (including the first) I open Outlook 2010 I a message box "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action." Press OK button and a Microsoft Exchange input box opens requesting a Microsoft Exchange Server and Mailbox.  I am trying to set up my SBCGLOBAL.NET email account. No matter what I enter when I press the 'Check Name' button another box opens "The name cannot be resolved. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action".

HELP PLEASE, I feel caught in a catch 22.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:17 AM

All replies

• Every time (including the first) I open Outlook 2010 I a message box "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable.

Means that an Outlook profile from a previous installation (of any Outlook version '2010 or earlier) already exists on this computer which is attempting to connect to an email account configured usig the MS Exchange protocol.

Solution:

1 - Open the Control Panel <Mail> app

2 - Create a <New> profile (where new = starting from scratch, not making a copy of one that exists)

3 - Configure your email account(s) making sure to use the appropriate protocol (POP3 or IMAP). If you use <auto-discover> (entering only your email address/password - it will be configured as an IMAP account by default if supported by your email service provider.

4 - When done, make sure you set this newly created profile as the default to be used the next time Outlook opens

5 - Close the Mail app - open Outlook

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:30 AM
  • I'd be VERY interested to see if this resolved the issue for POPPY7x, because I have a very similar issue and it is NOT working for me:

When trying to setup the user:

"The name cannot be resolved. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

System:
    Windows 10 with latest updates ( including 1703 ),
    Office 2010 32 bit fully updated,
    FRESH install of both,
    no previous Outlook profile setup,
    I have checked the Windows firewall and created rules to allow all traffic to/from outlook ( no joy)
    I have reinstalled (no joy)
    I have double-checked file permissions for C:\users\(username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\*.*
    I have tested outlook 2010 on a Windows 7 machine (works fine)

Server:
    2008 R2
    Exchange Server 2010 (fully updated)

I have checked / restarted Microsoft Exchange Address Book
    I have checked / restarted Microsoft Exchange System Attendant
    I have checked / restarted Microsoft Exchange
    I have checked / restarted the server.

_autodiscover._tcp.clientdomain.example SRV record is all present and correct

- and I still cannot setup Outlook.

Setup works fine on Windows 7.

Currently I feel this is likely to prove to be an issue specific to Windows 10, NOT specific to the 1703 creator update. (cos it didn't work before update 1703 either)

Very frustrating...

Suggestions welcome...

EDIT:
    Oh yes, and I have checked the User Shell Folder registry key too...
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/2264398/outlook-unable-to-perform-a-check-name-or-connect-to-an-exchange-mailbox

Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

Additionally, this issue may also occur when the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders registry key does not contain all of the required data. Specifically, these problems occur if the AppData string value is missing from this registry key.

To resolve this issue, import the User Shell Folders registry key from a working Windows User Profile.

(Important Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.)

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 3:12 AM