Exchange 2007 fails to generate OAB. Error ID 9330 and 9334. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I'm having issues generating/updating an OAB on my Exchange 2007. The event viewer is reporting the following errors:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSExchangeSA
    Event Category: OAL Generator 
    Event ID: 9330
    Date: 1/30/2014
    Time: 2:07:46 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    OALGen encountered error 80040115 (internal ID 50004ef) accessing Active Directory DC-SERVER for ''. 
    - /o=Company Name/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Offline Address Book 

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSExchangeSA
    Event Category: OAL Generator 
    Event ID: 9334
    Time: 2:07:46 PM
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    OALGen encountered error 80040115 while initializing the offline address list generation process. No offline address lists have been generated. Please check the event log for more information. 
    - /o=Company Name/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Offline Address Book 

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I've tried everything I have found from other similar posts without success. I have created a new Offline Address Book, I can ping and resolve DNS to Primary Domain Controller, etc

I don't know what else to do. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:25 PM

All replies

• this article should be of some help.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dgoldman/archive/2007/11/15/oab-generation-fails-to-generate-with-errors-9330-and-9334.aspx

Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:40 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. 

I did read the article before and none of those scenarios apply to me. I have through each scenario mentioned in the article:

1 & 2. I am able to ping and resolve DNS to primary domain controller, which is the DC that Exchange is trying to connect to generate/update OAB;

3. I am not using the DS Server registry key in my Exchange server;

4. My cn=Address List container has the default permissions and I haven't segregated my Address Lists.

Is there anything else that I can try?

Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:52 PM
  • http://bradmarsh.net/index.php/2009/03/03/exchange-2007-offline-address-book-oab-keeps-asking-for-authentication/

check step 8 that the attributes match

and can you ping the dc, and all other dc's from the exchange server by NETBIOS name alone?

Do you have wins configured in the NIC?

Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:15 PM
  • Thanks for replying!

I checked the attributes according to the article you linked and they all matched. 

I can ping to all three of my DCs by their NETBIOS name from my Exchange Server. 

I don't have WINS configured on the NIC. 

Any ideas?

Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:32 PM
  • are you able to create another OAB and right click it and set as default?

you don't mention if outlook does not download this OAB, if it fails, whats the error in outlook?

Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:49 PM
  • I did create another OAB. I did not set it as default but I tried to update it by running the Update-OfflineAddressBook and then I went to check Event Viewer and it showed the same error messages, ID 9330 and 9334, for the new OAB.

Outlook does not download the default OAB. It gives me the following error:

"Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F): The operation failed. An object could not be found."

Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:55 PM
  • its does take some time to build, especially a new one. try the following in addition to update OAB cmdlet

Update-FileDistributionService – Identity <CAS Server> -Type OAB -verbose

is the OAB set to both web and public folder distribution?

on the mailbox server you have specified as the generation server in the program files..exchange server..v14..exchangeOAB folder there should be a subfolder(s) with the guid of oab(s) is that there?

and on the cas server a file with same in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\OAB

• Edited by Jon.Knight Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:04 PM
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:02 PM
  • this is for 2003 but might also be relevant if this file exists

Click Start, click Run, type %SystemRoot%\system32\mapisvc.inf, and then click OK
    • Locate the [MSEMS_DSA_Admin] section.
    • Locate and then delete the following entry:
      6603001f = <var>Server_Name</var>

Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:14 PM

• The OAB is set to both web and public folder distribution. 

The mailbox server does have the OAB folder and it contains a subfolder with the GUID of the default OAB, not for the new OAB I created. The same thing for the CAS server.

I ran the cmdlet with no problems. The Event viewer showed the following errors for the new OAB I created:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: MSExchangeFDS
    Event Category: General 
    Event ID: 1021
    Time: 5:32:43 PM
    Computer: CAS-SERVER
    Description:
    Process MSExchangeFDS.exe (PID=2672). Could not find directory \\CAS-SERVER\ExchangeOAB\e52a1595-d9b9-45ad-a786-2e909de7ccb7. This is normal if the directory has never been generated. Otherwise, make sure this directory and share has read permission for the "Exchange Servers" group.

That is the GUID of the new OAB that was not generated. 

Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:39 PM
  • I checked and that file does not exist on my server.
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:41 PM
  • Hi,

To understand more about the issue, I’d like to recommend the following troubleshooting:

1. Check if the IP address is proper when ping the DC NETBIOS name.
    2. Check if it changes the DNS Suffix in the advanced options of the network card which allowed the Exchange server to discover the GC though NetBIOS and changed the priority for the Child domain where exchange server resides.

If you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Angela Shi
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 3, 2014 10:59 AM
  • Hi Angela, 

1. It does resolve to the correct IP address when pinging the DC NETBIOS name. 

2. The advanced options in the network card have the "Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes" and "Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix" options selected. 

One thing I should mention is that rebooting the Exchange mail server will fix this temporarily. After reboot, the OAB starts to generate/update, it will work for a couple of days up to a couple weeks. But after some period of time it will stop generating/updating and it will work again only if I reboot the server. 

I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Monday, February 3, 2014 3:53 PM